PDA

View Full Version : Teaching my 4yo...

psophia17
04-26-2008, 11:47 AM
*sigh*
I bought Set 1 of the BOB books at Costco yesterday, and DS1 was thrilled. We worked out way through the first book within an hour, and he did pretty well. He read the whole sentence on the last page without any help, and was sooooooo excited. This morning, he came to wake me up, and first thing he did was ask to read the next book. So I got it out...

I am a sucky, frustrated, impatient teacher. Especially with things I understand intuitively, which in this case is reading. I learned to read before kindergarten, I just knew how to do it one day, according to my Mom. I don't remember her, or anyone, ever reading a book to me. I think I learned enough from Sesame Street to do it myself.

The tips in the parent/teacher guide are not helpful enough for me.

There are lots of Early Childhood people here, right? Any tips to keep me calm while I work through this with my guy? He *wants* to read, and I don't want to ruin something I really love doing for him right out of the block.

Thanks!!!

bubbaray
04-26-2008, 01:16 PM
We need to get together, Petra! DD#1 is also working on set #1 of the BOB books. Maybe the two of them could read together???

egoldber
04-26-2008, 01:21 PM
So what happened with the second book? Can you just let him "read" it on his own? He doesn't need to read it correctly, just enjoy the process. :)

Some kids are ready to read at 4 and some aren't. Sarah couldn't read BOB books until she was well over 5, but she then learned very, very quickly. Every child is different.

psophia17
04-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Book 1 was great - we spelled the words together, sounded them out together, and there was tons of joy.

On p.1 of book 2, he got stuck on "and." We spent about 20 minutes saying the letters, sounding it out, and he finally, excitedly, yelled it out with total joy. Next page, there it is, "and." But he couldn't figure it out, and couldn't remember what it was on p.2. Same thing with "on," "sad," and "cat." It just got really frustrating, and I know I didn't handle it like I should've.

I need to let go...

psophia17
04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
We need to get together, Petra! DD#1 is also working on set #1 of the BOB books. Maybe the two of them could read together???
Did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?

Melbel
04-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I am not an Early Childhood person, but have some experience teaching my two DC to read by age 4.

First, I would note that my DC both enjoyed the Dick and Jane books much more than the Bob ones. The illustrations are more captivating and they seem to build confidence much more quickly. My DS literally went from Dick and Jane to dinosaur encyclopedias, so I did not need to teach him beyond phoenetics. My DD has taken more of a step by step approach. While they were both ready to read at an early age, the learning styles were quite different. I have tried to make most of the learning fun by playing games and also try to mix up the teaching style to keep their interest. For example, in the car, we play the I am thinking of something that starts with the letter ___ game, and give clues. After he/she guesses correctly, we spell the word by sounding out each of the letters. Subsequent words may rhyme with an earlier one and a clue would state that it rhymes with ___. The bathtub foam letters (or just steam on a shower door) were great to to change hat to bat to sat, hat to hit to hut, ham to hat to had, etc. Once they see the connections, the reading seems to fall into place for us.

If your son is getting frustrated or is having difficulty on a particular day, you may suggest taking turns reading pages or come up with a different activity using the sight words. It will give you both a break! HTH!

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
From all the teachers I talked to when trying to pick a school for 1st grade they just said that when the child is ready they will read. They might be able to memorize before that time but one day things will just click- and that might not happen till the child is in 1st grade. Currently my ds is 5 (almost 6) and he will be one of those children that will have the skills in place but not reading till 1st grade, it would seem. He knows his site words and has some other things figured out (letter sounds...). But, I kind of look at it like potty training in that if you just wait it will come. Then again, I have never heard of the BOB books or tried to get him to read. Maybe I am short changing him or missing out on spmething here. If he is getting bored or fristrated I would just follow his lead though.

Beth

wendmatt
04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
DD desperately wanted to learn how to read and I didn't know how to "teach" her other than the fact that we read tons of books every day. So I bought "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons". I have to say it was fabulous, it was slow and gentle at first and DD did wonderfully. She is 5 now (finished the books when she was still 4) and reads at a 2nd grade level. I think your child has to want to do it as it got tough half way through and she wanted to stop for a while, so I didn't push it. But then we went back to it and she reads like a champ now. I highly recommend it.

thomma
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Some quick tips:
Before you read a book together make predictions about what the book is going to be about. Look at the cover...then go through the pages together. Then read the book to him. Then have him read it to you. The beginning stages of reading are memorizing text then reading/telling the book/story to yourself or someone else. If reading is frustrating him stop and just read it to him. I tell my students every year that there are three ways to read a book: read the words, read the pictures and retell the story. It's also fun to read the first part of the sentence then have the child fill in the last word/words.

Another activity/strategy you can use is to write books together. He draws a picture;dictates a simple sentence about it and you're the scribe who writes it down. Take a few pieces of paper; fold them in half; staple and you've got a book that he's written and can read. I've also labeled most of the house and my kids go around and read around the rooms. Books on tape and cd are great too.

fwiw, my twins will be 5 in a few weeks. One has been reading for a few months the other one cannot and is just starting to pick up books I've read and retelling the story.

Sorry for the rambling-
hth-
Kim
ds&dd 5/03

brittone2
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
I would just keep reading to him, keep him excited about reading, read picture books, chapter books, listen to books on CD, etc. and it will come when he's ready most likely.

We're homeschooling, and DS turned 4 in February. He can read most of the first set of BOB books, but then he goes through phases where he's not interested in reading, and wants me to read to him exclusively. I roll with it.

I've done a lot of reading on the topic, and I'm convinced that early reading doesn't necessarily equate to better comprehension, etc. in the long run. If you are stressing over whether or not he's reading at 4, he's going to pick up on that stress. Even if he reads early, it may be far, far more time consuming and challenging than if you waited for him to be ready, kwim? (think potty learning ;) ). From what I've read on the topic, pressing too much for early reading isn't worth undermining his confidence and enjoyment (both far more important in the long run than at what age he *starts* reading, IMO).

I'm sure you aren't pressuring him, but if you yourself are feeling anxious, I think he'll pick up on that.

DS and I do things like take a blank book and have him tell me a story. He dictates and I write if he prefers that (he's really getting into writing, but on his own terms.). Sometimes I make a story up and he illustrates. He likes oral story telling, and we also do chapter books mixed w/ picture books. We play rhyming games. We play the "opposites" game in the car (I say, if something isn't high it is ___ and he answers "low", etc.). We listen to great books on CD (I love Greathall for this. They have kid-friendly yet not dumbed down things like Shakespeare, non violent versions of Robin Hood and King Arthur and his Knights, great anthologies of just general kid stories in general). Those things all facilitate real literacy, IMO.

You really can set him up for growing his attention span, fostering his love of reading, reading comprehension, etc. all without him actually being ready to *read* by himself yet. I'd focus on those things and keep it a really positive warm and fuzzy feeling for him. Go back to the fun stuff. It will help both of you feel better. I promise :)

kijip
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd be willing to bet Petra that your mother is recounting what she remembers and not just what happened. You likely did read fast but probably not with only TV help. Reading takes listening/reading time with parents, especially at that age.

That said, reading experts tend to agree that kids will learn when they are ready and that anytime up to about age 7-8 is all normal and not a sign of any learning special needs.

Toby went from letters and sounds (under 2) to reading books (just about 4) over the course of over 2 years. All of this was on his own, with parents reading to him daily. I on the other hand did not learn to read until the summer I turned 7.

Nathan will read when he is ready to read.

psophia17
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
We worked our way through another couple of books today, and it went better.

I'm not pushing him - he's so excited to do this, I got the set because I'd heard about it, and told him when I got home from Costco that it was a set of books that would help him learn to read. He's begged every adult in the house to read them with him, and they've only been here since Friday.

So long as I can keep myself calm from page to page...fingers crossed...

mommy111
04-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Petra, not an EC person here but I soooo hear you, I tended to get impatient with DD and not realize that things that were intuitive for me were not for her. It starts with a mixture of sounding out and word recognition and I wanted her to get all the 'rules' of sounding out, which made us stick at one place and never move forward. Also, the Bob books are great, but some of the very similar words together makes them a little confusing.
Here is what helped with my DD:
I just absolutely refused to push it. If she wanted and really really wanted and begged me to, I would encourage her to read. Otherwise, I'd just drop it. I wanted it to be something that she wanted and not something that mommy wanted and that kept her enthusiasm. Which was critical to me, cuz I didn't want to be the pushy parent.
If she needed me to read a word, I sounded it out to her to help her out and then asked her what it was. If she still didn't get it, I read it out to her. It kept the story moving forward and her interest engaged.
I like someone's idea of reading the book to her first. Our babysitter did that with several books with her and I realize she picked those up faster.
Also, predictable books are great. Like the wheels on the bus book etc. Kids know the song already, so they read the words, relate to the pics if they're having trouble etc. One of the first books DD read was a '10 silly monkeys' book.
And, most importantly, just as long as you read stuff to him, and point out the left to right progression and point and maybe sound out a lot of words as you read, things will eventually just click. One day he'll pick up a book that you've never read him before, keep his finger under the words and just read it. Just like that. Its amazing how all that stuff that we don't know they're learning they're actually assimilating and eventually it all comes together. I wish I had the brain of a 3-year old!

AngelaS
04-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm in the process of teaching my second one to read. This first year of reading is so exciting to watch them put sounds into words! But....at the same time....listening to every.single.sound be drawn out oh.so.slowly... OW! It's painful!

I've found that I need something to do while listening to my girls read to me. I sit and work on my smocking or hand sewing or some such thing while they read. :) Honestly, that's all it takes. I sit right beside them and listen and help as needed but if I just focus on what they're doing, I want to pull my hair out one strand at a time.

psophia17
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
...but if I just focus on what they're doing, I want to pull my hair out one strand at a time.

:yeahthat: I'll try and think of a project I can do at the same time....hmmm....