PDA

View Full Version : San Diego advice...

catpagmo
04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
DH and I are going to San Diego in mid June...without DD. We are not sure where to stay, or really what to do there. We are just excited to get away!

Anyone have any suggestions on things to do, or where to stay, without kids? We are looking for a nice hotel, but nothing fancy schmanzy. We are not really beach people, but would like to go for a walk along the beach a couple of times. We will have a car, too. I think I want to go to Sea World, and I love shopping!

Thanks for any advice!

Tondi G
04-26-2008, 08:00 PM
we just went down to San Diego and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. They just completed major renovations and their pool area is fantastic. They have 3 water slides and our boys had a blast! We stayed on the bay side facing the rollercoaster. The hotel itself was great but we had a little issue with the plane noise. I heard that staying on the other side of the tower makes a difference with this.... I think that side faces the marina. I've heard you do not want to low lying buildings you want the tower.

I have also heard good things about the Paradise Point resort. Lots of tropical grounds etc.

We had a great time at Sea World and also at Legoland, up in Carlsbad. If you want a quieter stay I would suggest Carlsbad. They just built a new Sheraton adjacent to Legoland that looks very nice.... their Grand Opening is in May but they are open for business while they finish up the 2nd tower. My DH's cousin stayed at the La Costa Spa not far from Legoland and said they had a fantastic time too. The Four Season looks lovely too. The one great thing about Carlsbad is their Outlets!!! Shopping Galore!

I found this site to be helpful when we were planning our trip

http://www.localwally.com/

as well as checking Trip Advisor

Good Luck

~Tondi

mom2binsd
04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
No kids, stay really anywhere..downtown is great..Gaslamp district walking distance to lots of restaurants, shopping etc...there is always Hotel Circle,not scenic but close to everthing...if you can...google Windansea Beach in Birdrock, just north of Pacific Beach, south of LaJolla...awesome place to watch the sunset, take a bottle of wine...sit on the quiet beach and relax...my favs after living there for 5 years...Pt. Loma Seafooods, the Venetian Italian restaurant (ask for a table on the back patio), shop at Fashion Valley in Mission Valley or UTC in LaJolla, hang out and eat in the village of LaJolla (it's on the coast, the UTC mall is inland)...gosh...without kids your choices are endless!!! Email me with any specific questions (ex. where NOT to stay...those internet sites make some hotels look really good-NOT)

bubbaray
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Ooooh, I would LOOOOOOVE to stay at the Hotel del Coronado

http://www.hoteldel.com/

:)

mom2binsd
04-28-2008, 11:20 PM
If your budget permits....like Melissa pointed out....the Del is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

egoldber
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I've stayed at the Hotel Del. If you do stay there, make sure you ask for a room in the old building, not in the towers, otherwise its just a hotel room like anywhere else. I'm not sure what the price differential is.

I have also stayed at the Loews resort on Coronado. Its a beautiful, full service resort and I would highly recommend it. Its about 10 minutes south of the city of Coronado.

catpagmo
05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions. We have decided to stay in La Jolla at the Embassy Suites. My FIL stayed there once, and said it was nice and reasonably close to everything. We'll see...

The Del does look amazing! Maybe next time we'll give that a try!

Fashion Valley, here I come!

mom2binsd
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I just looked it up as I hadn't heard of it....it's in the UTC area...Univerisity Town Center....the Westfield Mall up there is very nice, but not as awesome as Fashion Valley (I lived 5 min away when we lived there..now our local mall just stinks!)....it's mostly a business area....about a 10-15 drive to the village of LaJolla....close by there is a Rock Bottom Brewery...in the village of LaJolla lots of great restaurants...my fav is to have dinner on the rooftop patio at Georges....just don't try to go into SD during morning 7-9 or afternoon rush hour 3-6..that part of LaJolla has crazy congestion....other than that it's only about 20 min down to downtown SD, another 10 min to head over the bridge to Coronado...at least have lunch on the patio at the Del, just lovely to relax and enjoy the luxury.

PM if you have any questions about specific restaurants.