PDA

View Full Version : Drumheller AB

psophia17
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Anyone know anything about Drumheller? DS1 is mad for dinosaurs, and DH is in the midst of planning a trip to Drumheller in late June.

We'd be driving from Vancouver, so anything entertain the kiddos (1.5 & 4.5) between there and here would be good, places to stay, anything to make the trip a huge success would be great to know.

Thanks!

bubbaray
04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I can find out. A friend of mine went and also a coworker of mine went. Both families drove from Vancouver.

Neatfreak
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I've been to the Tyrell Museum many times, but it's always been as a day trip from Edmonton or Calgary, alas ...

psophia17
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd love to know - thanks Melissa!

DH has been online every night trying to come up with a plan, but so far is coming up empty. I told him we would only go if he could promise me that DS2 won't be miserable once we get there, since he will definitely be miserable during the drive there and back...

Neatfreak
04-29-2008, 02:14 AM
You know, we rarely drove all the way to Vancouver when I was a kid, but we did have some fun holidays at places like Radium Hotsprings and Fairmont Hotsprings. Fort Steele is a heritage town about fifteen minutes outside of Cranbrook. If your kids are into fossils and rocks, it might be worth stopping in Field, BC for a couple of hours. I think there is a nice interpretive centre for the Burgess Shale. Also, not far from Revelstoke is Craigellachie, where the last spike driven for the CP Railway is. There is a little park with an antique railcar.

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's the reply I got from one friend:

Let's see, we went to Drumheller 3 years ago. There is no a whole lot to do along the way. There is an enchanted forest about 2/3 of the way to Alberta which is worth a look. We stayed at the Howard Johnson's which had a great indoor slide that the kids enjoyed. There is a good restaurant about half way up the highway to Drumheller on the right hand side which has a giant teacup outside.... I think that it is called Crafties of something like that.....has a cute little store inside too. I would contact either Tourism BC or Tourism Alberta to get more info on interesting things to see and do along the way! The Calgary Zoo is spectacular and I would highly recommend that!

HTH

psophia17
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks Melissa! Off to get some info from Tourism BC & Alberta...

...I'm really, really hoping we can save this trip for when DS2 is a little older and less prone to screaming fits when he's annoyed...

MontrealMum
04-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Tongue in cheek here...the creationist museum is near to Drumheller ;) Seriously, I talked to DH (former geologist) and he also mentioned the places that Neatfreak did.

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
You have to figure out which route you want to go -- or maybe go in a big circle? Revelstoke/Banff/Radium Hot Springs etc are via Hwy#1. Cranbrook is via Hwy #3.

IMO Hwy #3 is a nicer drive. You could take a few days. Go to Penticton the 1st day (~ 4-5 hrs depending on traffic). Nice lake. Osoyoos is close too, you could stay there.

Next travel day, go to Nelson. Again, nice lake. Another 4 hours or so from Penticton/Osoyoos. Next travel day into Alberta.

There isn't too much to see along the Hwy #1 route until you get closer to the AB border.