PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried two diaper doublers??

beansprout13
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
In the last week or so, DS has been waking up in the middle of the night soaked. I've been putting him in Huggies Size 5 Overnights with a diaper doubler and this has always done the trick. However, in the last week this combo doesn't seem to be working anymore. If he sleeps on his side, he is soaked by about 2AM. If he sleeps on his back or stomach, we don't seem to have the same issues.

I was wondering if anyone has tried two diaper doublers or has any other suggestions?

DS is too little (I think) for the Good Nites (I believe the smallest size starts at 38 pounds and DS is 30, at the most).

I'm sick of changing diapers and PJs at 2AM for my 3 year old (I'll have enough of that in a a couple of weeks when DS2 arrives!)

jerigirl
04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Do you think he is leaking out of the leg or the waistband? I know someone on here said that they put the doubler inside the diaper, parallel to the waistband to help absorb leaking from there. Also make sure that he is pointing down in his diaper. As for the Good Nites weight limit- they are just suggestions. With all diapers I have moved DS up to the next size several lbs. before the suggested weight limit. If he started leaking or blowing out, I moved up regardless of what the limit was.

GL! I hope you find something that works!

jeri

sidmand
04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I have found the Goodnites to be too huge for DS (although he really should fit into them at this point). Make sure it's the Goodnites vs. Pullups Nighttime though...I made that mistake and the Goodnites are much more absorbant! I have heard of the Goodnites fitting much smaller than they say though. I guess it depends where exactly the weight is distributed.

I use the Huggies overnites size 5 (which are very very snug at the moment!), a Depends insert (which I've found more absorbant than a typical diaper doubler), and a cloth diaper cover (which is waterproof). He's *usually* dry or dry enough in the a.m. for it not to matter. Very few times has he soaked through his PJs although once in awhile the PJs are a bit damp.

And his diapers are the heaviest/hugest diapers anyone has ever seen first thing in the a.m.! DS his a heavy nighttime wetter.

HHCs Mom
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
We had this problem too since the size 5 Huggies Overnights were getting too small for DS1. I would also make sure he is pointing down and make sure that the DD is in the front. I *think* (this was about the time that DS2 was born so my memory is seriously foggy!) with DS1 once he outgrew the size 5 Huggies Overnights we went to the night time pull ups (he was about 3 or so) with the DD inside of that. That seemed to work just fine.

We have started using them on DS2 already but he's wearing Pampers and is only 11 mos. With him we fold the DD in half and put it in the front of his diaper. No more leaking!

avd3875
04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
When we started using diaper doublers we quickly discovered that one wasn't enough. Joey would be soaked in the morning. I'm pretty sure we started using the doublers with the size 5 Huggies overnights, and then swicthed to the Safeway brand overnight underpants (like Goodnights, I think) when diapers just weren't big enough. DS would go to bed at 6:30, and just before DH went to bed at midnight he would go and change the doublers. We would go through 4/night. It seemed crazy, but having wet sheets every morning seemed worse.

Good luck!

HIU8
04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
DD is 10.5 months and is currently wearing a size 5 Huggies Overnight with one diaper doubler. She is about 23 lbs (everthing is in her hips and thighs which is why we are in a size 5 diaper). Anyway, where do I go from here? DS is 3.5 and grew out of the size 5 overnights about 6 months ago. I think DD will be too small for goodnights or nighttime pull ups. Anyone have any suggestions? She isn't leaking through with the diaper doubler but we are getting close.

Thanks.

beansprout13
04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, I picked up some GoodNites today just to see how they would fit and they are HUGE. DS is nowhere ready to fit into those (he has a very tiny waist). I wish Huggies would just come out with size 6 overnights! I tried two diaper doublers inside an overnights size 5 and we'll see how that goes.

I'm thinking if that doesn't work, maybe a regular pull-up inside an overnight??

I think we are going to have some more nights of wet sheets and 2AM changes during this trial and error process!

HHCs Mom
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Something else I just thought of... if for some reason you can't find a diaper combination that works for you, try these: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6773&parentCategoryId=85180&categoryId=117215&subCategoryId=86184

I bought these when we were having trouble with leaking overnight dipes and they were a GODSEND to have when DS1 was potty training! You may be able to find them cheaper than these from OSA but I ordered from them and they have worked well. You just put them on the bed over the fitted sheet and the child sleeps on top. If he wets, yank it off and put another one on or he can sleep on the sheet that was underneath. SO, SO much better than changing sheets in the middle of the night!!!

They're also great to put on the bed when your child is sick and you're afraid they might vomit during the night. Just slide it up to the head of the bed and it'll catch any vomit. ;) And definitely get TWO! One to have clean while the other is in the wash.

HHCs Mom
04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I wish Huggies would just come out with size 6 overnights!

I hear you on the size 6 Overnights! I said the exact same thing many, many, many times!

lizajane
04-27-2008, 10:27 PM
1) don't let him drink anything after dinner.
2) put him on the potty right beforebed.
3) put him in fleece PJ pants. fleece doesn't absorb moisture and will let him feel dry. it will also help keep his bed dry. if it is hot, just cut off the pants and make them into shorts. fleece will not unravel, so don't worry about cutting a raw edge.

another idea is the put the goodnight on OVER the diaper.