PDA

View Full Version : Compass B510 or Sunshine Monterey, which is safer?

supercalifragilous
04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Background info:
I have a friend looking for 2 new boosters, mainly b/c I've talked her into trading in her old ratty ones (I think they're wimpy and unsafe compared to what's currently on the market).
*The tall skinny 6.5 y/o loves her 2001 Graco TurboBooster - she loves to sit upright and the "openness" of it (she doesn't like to be cradled).
*The 5-y/o and is pretty much OK with anything and currently in an Evenflo convertible used as a booster.
*They also have a younger 3.5 y/o in a MA.

They're all flying out for the first time and will probably gate-check their boosters and MA. I know it'd be more convenient to fly with the Compass since it folds, but safety-wise, is the B510 just as safe as the Monterey? I hate to sacrifice convenience for safety as these will be the boosters they use regularly when they get home, but I thought I'd ask your opinions on rating the safety between these two.

Part of me thinks that they're gate-checking anyway, so does convenience really matter? There's only a 6-lb difference btwn the two boosters. I can see carrying the folded Compass through the terminal would be easier, though. Does the folded Compass fit in the overhead bin in the aircraft?

I haven't been able to see the Monterey IRL as they are none in my state apparently (ironic, since the distributor is in the same county as me). I've been told that the Monterey wing angles are adjustable so they're not so "cradling" but I don't know if this adjustability is for both the SIP headwings AND the body wings. Does anyone know?

Do you think the Monterey offers more SIP than the Compass B510?

Joolsplus2
04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't really think it's possible to put a blanket label of 'safer' on either of these seats...it kind of factors down to the child riding in it, the fit of the belts, the safety of the car itself, and the type of crash. Then factor in the convenience and what you 'need' the seat to do, and that'll help you decide what works. No way in heck would I want to haul a Monterey to gate check, personally. The Compass is probably much better, I think it does fit in the overhead, but at least it'll fold down neatly for easy carrying.
The Turbo can't be that old, but it could be from summer 2002 and might be almost expired...that kiddo might really like the openness of the B510, though, and it'd be a lot safer than an old Turbo, IMNSHO.
I haven't seen the Monterey to see how wide it dials... but in pictures it looks roomy and comfy...lemme see if I can dig some up and edit or post again. :)

(edit, I found it http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=43787 )

supercalifragilous
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Darn! I can't get the photobucket link to display the pictures - did she take pics down? Or is it just my Safari browser? She did confirm what I thought about the Parkway wings being more confining than the Monterey though.

My heart is torn - I'd love to buy her 2 Compasses for her trip (flight+rental car), esp. since she's traveling with 3 kids (6.5, 5, &3), but this is the one & only trip in a long while and she doesn't need any spares on a regular basis at home.

In pics, it looks as though the Monterey would offer more SIP, esp. in the body wings (the B510 seems wide open in comparison). You're right - I just don't see her lugging 2 Montereys + the MA to the gate, even with a SmartCarte... Julie, let me put you on the spot - which booster would you choose for your kids? And why?

I'm kicking myself for missing out on the LearningCurve sale on the Compass seats... I'm crossing my fingers that they get more in stock in the next 2 days... Then I'd be more than happy to buy 2! I called EliteCarSeats.com to see if they price match but they don't do that anymore - the most discount they give is 5%. :irked: PLUS they now charge for shipping!!! :thumbsdown: After buying 2 MAs + a SafeGuard from them, you'd think they'd offer a return customer SOMEthing, but no...

ETA: They have a '98 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. The 5 y/o & 3 y/o sit in the rear bench on each side and the 6.5 y/o sits in a captain seat behind the front passenger. I'd prefer her to be behind the driver instead (isn't that the 2nd safest position, statistically?) but alas, it hasn't changed...

Also, the kids are mostly tall & lanky so I thought the Monterey would also last them longer (in height) than the B510...

supercalifragilous
04-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Julie, another question for you...

Why is the B510 preferred over the Graco TurboBooster? They seem identical in style & design (though the B510 seems to have a recline - not necessarily a good thing in my case). Why the $40 price difference? Is it just for the foldability? Or is the construction truly better on the Compass?

ETA: Do the headwings extend our further in the Compass? Does one offer more SIP than the other? Looking at the two, it looks like the TB would "cradle" more than the B510... What do you think?

o_mom
04-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Darn! I can't get the photobucket link to display the pictures - did she take pics down? Or is it just my Safari browser? She did confirm what I thought about the Parkway wings being more confining than the Monterey though.

The pictures work fine for me using IE 6.

Joolsplus2
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Ack! The pressure! The Compass has way deeper headwings than the Turbo, and way higher quality construction. Just buy Montereys and use them backless for travel. That's what I'd do. (or take the Turbo for the littler kid... they can pack the back in luggage, bring the base on the plane as carryon, that way if luggage gets lost, then at least they won't be stuck at the airport without boosters totally).

supercalifragilous
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Just buy Montereys and use them backless for travel. That's what I'd do. (or take the Turbo for the littler kid... they can pack the back in luggage, bring the base on the plane as carryon, that way if luggage gets lost, then at least they won't be stuck at the airport without boosters totally).

Thanks! What a bright idea - I didn't even think of that!! The Monterey looks so much like a carseat that I totally forgot the back comes off!! That's an awesome solution! :yay:

Julie, you're the best! Thank you Thank you Thank you!! :kisscheek:

Joolsplus2
04-28-2008, 11:02 AM
;)

But don't be too happy till it's all said and done successfully, lol.