PDA

View Full Version : "The Sunny Side of the Truth" ad campaign

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2008, 05:09 PM
These ads stink. A few weeks ago my 5.5yo was in the car while I was listening to NPR. A story came on about nicotine levels and the FDA (?) and ds said, "well, there is a safe amount, right? the magical amount." Has anyone seen that ridiculous song and dance commercial? Irony does not translate to kids. The ad looks like it is geared towards kids and it is totally irresponsible to advertise like that. I had to try my hardest to explain that there was no magical amount.

Just wanted to vent about that. Thanks.

Beth

elizabethkott
04-27-2008, 06:51 PM
ITA. I am also really, really sick of the very graphic anti-smoking ads that are on the major networks during inappropriate times, such as 6-7am. Some of us actually try to eat breakfast while watching the news in the morning. I know the intent is to shock, and it does, but it's not something I want to see over my cereal. And not for nothing, I don't want my 15 month old son looking at images like that, either. I don't need that stuff getting into his subconscious at this early age.
The ads' intent is good, but the networks need to be a bit more judicial with where they allow the ads to be placed, KWIM?

KBecks
04-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Thank goodness they aren't running on Sprout, the only channel we watch. :)

Bean606
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
ITA. I was watching TV the other day (w/o DS there, thank goodness), and I was half asleep when it came on, and it took until halfway through the commercial for me to figure out it was supposed to be ironic. Way too confusing for a little kid. Cynic that I am, I think that's totally what they intended, though.

elizabethkott
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Could you just imagine?
"Join us for this very special Good Night... Nina and Star take a trip to the tracheodimist! Cailou discovers that there is no cure for grandpa's hacking cough, and Thomas gets stuck in nicottine tar! We'll learn corpse pose, and the sign language sign for emphasima! Won't you join us for this very special Good Night?"
Yeish.

egoldber
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I honestly have no idea what you guys are talking about. Love my DVR. ;) I even pause the news so I can fast forward through the commercials.

ETA: I also don't watch the news with Sarah around. Seriously there would be no end to the quesitons. "Mommy, why are those people shooting each other? What does race mean? Why does it matter for the president? Why would someone be mean to that little girl?" Yeah, I'm pretty much just not ready to go there with her.

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
DVR= wonderful thing but, alas, we still watch some stuff live (sports, mainly) so ds just catches these things. Plus this ad looks like a cartoon so even if he hasn't paid any attention to the tv being on these grab his attention. I didn't think that anything about that ad had sunk in- I didn't know that he knew it was about smoking till he said that. I just try my best to honestly and appropriately answer his questions.

Beth

s7714
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Yep, another reason I don't listen to normal radio around my DDs anymore. Once my DD started asking questions about why people were getting killed and all that stuff, even NPR got turned off.

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
One day I tried to see if ds was listening to NPR and asked him some q's. He hadn't been listening. I don't know how often he actually listens but I do mute it if I feel I need to.

Beth

Melanie
04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I've seen those ads. They don't run them during shows targeted at children, do they?

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
No, but they are on during dinner time (like during Wheel of Fortune) and things like baseball games.

So, not just prime time, kids in bed hours.

ETA- I know, we watch too much tv. Take it up w/ dh. :)

Beth