PDA

View Full Version : Car Seats for Upcoming Vacation

ilfaith
04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Our family wil be spending two weeks in Hawaii next month, and we will be renting cars on both Oahu and Maui. Originally we thought we'd just rent car seats along with the cars, but given the cost combined with the possibly dubious quality of the rented seats, we're now thinking we might be better off buying seats to bring on the trip.

DS1 will actually be turning 4 while we are in Hawaii. He's about 43 inches and 40-42 pounds, and currently rides in a Marathon. DS2 will be 21 months at the time of the trip. He's about 32 inches and 28 pounds, and we just turned his Boulevard front facing.

I really don't want to schlep these big carseats on the plane (as we will be changing planes twice, Jacksonville to Charlotte to Phoenix to Maui...then to Oahu and back again). So I am wondering whether there is a smaller, more lightweight option. We thought of using a booster for DS1 (we hadn't planned to buy one until he outgrew his MA, but it seems like a better investment than yet another carseat).

We don't want to spend a fortune, since we recently bought additional (Fisher-Price) carseats to keep at my in-laws' in New York for our visits to the Grandparents.

Any suggestions?

o_mom
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
For the younger one, a Scenera for $40? For the older one, how about a RideSafer Travel Vest?

KrisM
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd probably bring the MA on the plane for the younger one. If not that, maybe a Cosco Scenara? Those are lighter weight and probably easier to travel with. There around $50 or so at various places. I find it more difficult to install in a car than the BV (like MA) though.

And, maybe a safe rider vest for your older DS? It packs away nicely and can be used in the car when you get there. You can find them at www.elitecarseats.com.

KrisM
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
For the younger one, a Scenera for $40? For the older one, how about a RideSafer Travel Vest?

Fine. I get the right answer, but you type faster :).

o_mom
04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Fine. I get the right answer, but you type faster :).

ROTFL! I was nak-ing, so had to be brief. :)

shburks
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe not an ideal option, but if you're OK with bringing ds1 on a plane without a seat, there is a K-Mart and a Wal-Mart both just almost around the corner from the Kahului, Maui airport. My guess is that you could find a Scenara or (worst case scenario) a decent booster seat to use if that's what you'd like to do. We live on Oahu and always lug our Scenara with us over there, but there is a K-Mart very close to the airport.

If you were coming into Oahu first, I'd meet you at the airport with one! :)