PDA

View Full Version : Svan vs Stokke

pinnacle94080
04-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello.

I am debating on whether to buy a Svan or a Stokke Trip Trap High Chair. Can anyone tell me which one is a better buy, better quality, etc.

Thanks.

brittone2
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't have a Svan, but we are still using DS's Kinderzeat (precursor to the Tripp Trapp). He's 4 and has been using it since he was 15-18 months or so.

We love, love, love it still. It still looks great. The finish is easy to clean.

I have a Kettler Tipp Topp for DD and there is no comparison. (got it for $99 so I was willing to take the chance). We far prefer the Stokke seat.

matthewsmom
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I have the Stokke Tripp Trapp and love it. My DS is 4 1/2 years old and he has been using it since he was 18 months. He still uses it all the time. I had thought that when my DD would need it, we would just use DS'. But we ended up buying DD her own Stokke. She loves it and has been using it since she was about 15 months old. She is 26 months old right now. She was able to climb in and out of the seat herself. I find that they eat so much better with the seats.

My sister has the Svan chair. I have used it when I have been over at her house. I actually didn't find it that useful. It came with a tray so that they can use it at an earlier age. But the tray is made of wood so it was not convenient to clean. My sister has stopped using her Svan. Her DS is also 26 months old. I think that the Tripp Trapp lasts much longer and just seems so much more durable. HTH

shoxie
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
We have a Svan and we love it. When I first was pregnant, we learned about the Tripp Trapp and I was set on getting it. But our apartment was small, and we decided to use the FP Booster for a while instead. When we moved into a larger apartment, I researched a bit and found that the Tripp Trapp wasn't a good fit for us because there's no tray. I like to use the chair not only at the table, so this was a sticking point for me.

Then we found the Svan - I absolutely love it and so does our DD who is now just a few days shy of 26 months. It's really comfortable for her and easy to keep clean. FYI, the new Svans come with a plastic (non-toxic) tray that fits over the wooden tray so that it's much easier to keep clean. You just pop it off and clean it up - it has a lip to catch spills, as well.

To top it all off, the Svan is super sturdy and the design is just beautiful. I really, really like it. We always get positive comments when someone sees it for the first time. Of course, this wouldn't matter if our DD didn't like it, but she loves her high chair.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either one - good luck! HTH!

shilo
04-29-2008, 06:21 PM
i think it kind of comes down to how you envision using it? but i never really looked seriously at the svan, so i'm not sure how many of the features/uses are the same? we only used a booster with a separate tray when he was first learning how to start solids and then finger foods from about 6-14mos? he's been in the kinderzeat (stokke) pulled all the way up to the table since then with a placemat. DS eats all his meals with us at the table, so this just seemed like a logical choice for us at the time. he's turning 3 in a few weeks and other than lowering the footboard to keep it adjusted to his growing legs, he loves it. it's extremely stable, he climbs up and down himself and has for at least a year. i'm sure we'll be using it for years to come and i plan on getting one for this new baby as well. compared to the booster on a conventional chair we use at my parents, the stokke is a breeze to keep clean. i found mine (natural cherry finish) used at the local consignment store the day it came into the shop, i bought it on the spot. it was manf. in 2003 and the finish still looks brand new with the exception of the stokke sticker on the side which is starting to look a little cracked/worn.

hth, lori

mum1day
04-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I have both!

My DD has the Stokke Tripp Trapp and both of my kids love it. My DS has the Svan and hates sitting in it and always wants out. I think it's too small for his bum and I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the seat. Also, I can't seem to get the food out of the holes on the chair where the screws are. Overall, it is not as nice as the Stokke. I'm trying to get rid of the Svan to buy DS a Stokke.

HTH

MontrealMum
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
We have a Stokke Tripp Trapp and love love love it :boogie: I'm not sure if I can express how much we love it, or how little regret we have over its phenomenal price tag (and that's saying something as DH is very frugal). It's a dream to clean (never used anything more than a wet cloth), it's spacesaving since it can be tucked under the table when not in use like a *real* chair, and the harness is great for peace of mind.

We did consider the Svan too, but DH didn't like its aesthetics, and I did like the idea of the child eating off the table with everyone else that you get with the Tripp Trapp since it has no tray. We've been using ours since DS was about 5 mos., and he loves sitting at the table, or sitting in it as I cook or wash dishes. When he was smaller I sometimes put him in it in other rooms for "confinement", which was nice because he was at my level and he thought that was great. We can no longer use tablecloths at our table (he's so close he pulls it off, too tempting for him), so that may be one downside of having the baby *at* the table, rather than having their own tray. But I'm hoping that as he grows this will be less of a problem, and he will continue to like to be at the adult table. There is also lots of grabbing for adult food, but we take that as a sign that he's ready for new foods! With a picky eater you take what you can get!

They are both very nice products, though, so I wouldn't want to steer you one way or the other. But consider the issue of the tray, and how you see your family dinnertime. That seems to be the biggest difference to me. They both grow with the child though, and they are both quality products.

pinnacle94080
12-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I have decided to buy the Stokke since it has more favorable reviews here and on other sites and when I saw the Stokke and Svan in the store, it does seem that my DD may quickly outgrow the Svan since it seemed smaller than the Stokke. The Stokke seemed to also be contructed better and has a wider array of colors to match our furniture. Too bad it does not have a tray but oh well I am sure we can live with it. Good thing I waited till they came out with a new model and I was able to get a good deal on it. I can't wait till my DD can use it. :cheerleader1: