PDA

View Full Version : PSA for britax owners - dont forget your HUGS

shilo
04-28-2008, 03:55 AM
mods, i know this is about carseats, but please let it slide for a day or two. i can't be the only one who has forgotten and doesn't read the carseat boards frequently enough... can i?

ok, i'm normally a pretty responsible, conscientious type. but somehow, i completely overlooked putting the HUGS back on DS's seats in _both_ of our cars when we flipped him forward facing earlier this year (so about 5months with no HUGS :(). it wasn't until i was perusing the carseat board tonight for the first time in, oh, 2 years or so that i had my "oh CR@P" moment - and now i feel like the worst mommy ever.

so if you have britax seats with HUGS and you took them off when rear-facing, here's your reminder to put them back on when you flip to forward-facing.

hope that helps someone avoid an 'oh cr@p, mommy guilt central' moment, (ETC my awful spelling - i'm sure i missed some)
lori

chlobo
04-28-2008, 04:34 AM
What are HUGS?

Neatfreak
04-28-2008, 06:15 AM
They are the rubber pieces that fit on the harness straps around the chest clip.

o_mom
04-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I'll fess up to forgetting it, too! It was a few weeks before I remembered since the Roundabout doesn't have them so I was used to a seat without them.

Go easy on yourself! The Fisher Price seats don't have them and they go to 55 lbs. ;)

mom2binsd
04-28-2008, 10:16 AM
ALSO don't forget you have to switch the latch connector too when you FF....they get reversed...it's easier than it sounds...

Joolsplus2
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
:cheerleader1:

(what's to say, really? I'm just so happy that people helping spread the proper-use word that all I can do is cheer)

:)

Tondi G
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
ALSO don't forget you have to switch the latch connector too when you FF....they get reversed...it's easier than it sounds...

HUH? How do I do that?

August Mom
04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
HUH? How do I do that?

You want to make sure that the longer part of the LATCH connector is on top. So, you basically bring one of the LATCH connectors under the cover to the other side and feed it under the loop of the strap of the other LATCH connector and then slide that LATCH connector to the opposite side. That should make both connectors have the longer, plastic part on top rather than the metal part that attaches to the bar in the seat on top. I hope that makes sense. There is a paragraph in the manual explaining what to do.

Tondi G
04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
You want to make sure that the longer part of the LATCH connector is on top. So, you basically bring one of the LATCH connectors under the cover to the other side and feed it under the loop of the strap of the other LATCH connector and then slide that LATCH connector to the opposite side. That should make both connectors have the longer, plastic part on top rather than the metal part that attaches to the bar in the seat on top. I hope that makes sense. There is a paragraph in the manual explaining what to do.

Cool... I think I got that! I'll go out right now and check mine! Thanks

shilo
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM

that we did. mostly just because it's next to impossible to install them upside down in our cars with the way the anchors are recessed. i even remember looking it up. so how i missed the HUGS is beyond me. sigh.

thanks for making this thread even more educational,
lori

kayte
04-28-2008, 02:38 PM

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!! Thanks for teaching me about my own carseat! I always have a devil of a time getting the seat into DH's car for this reason!! Thanks so much! I just switched them and they are even easier to get into my car!

lorinick
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Do you have to take the HUGS off when rear facing? My son is RF and I'm using them. Is that okay?

lorinick
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Can I use the HUGS RF?

kep
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Using them RF is fine! You just have the option to remove them for comfort or a better fit RFing. :D

DrSally
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I never took mine off RF, so didn't have that issue, luckily. We decided to switch DS FF this weekend b/c he is so close to the limit. B/c of a recent thread in the carseat forum, I reminded DH to "rethread" the seat for FF. He said, Huh? and then read the manual and a lot of huffing and puffing and wrangling ensued. Meanwhile, I was cleaning out all the cheerio dust from the seat. I also reminded him to raise the shoulder straps so that they would be "above" his shoulders now. I think DH thought it would be as easy as just turning the seat around, but it took awhile. So grateful for all the advice.