PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Train Moms-- building & bridges help pls!

1964pandora
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I know some of you are wooden train track experts! We're past the figure 8 stage and ready for some more exciting buildings, track configurations, etc.

How many buildings and bridges did you end up with? Ideally, I'd like a set up where there are at least 4 buildings in the four quadrants and several bridges, tunnels, etc. How do I know which ones to buy and whether it's all going to work together? I am completely lost when it comes to which type of track to buy, and how much.

This is prompted by my recent purchase of a bunch of buildings and tunnels and additional track for 50% off at All Aboard Trains. I'm beginning to wonder whether I've made a mistake and purchased too much, or things that won't "go" together.

Also, does anyone with a Nilo table use the extenders that allow the track to extend off the table?

TIA

ETA: At the risk of really embarassing myself, here are the items I purchased for future birthdays and probably even Christmas. Please feel free to critique what I've bought. I can return the items that are overkill, etc. Would love your feedback! Thanks again.

Drawbridge 1
Toby's Windmill
Rolling Gantry Crane
Rescue Hospital
Thomas the Tank Engine Train Roundhouse
Cranky the Crane
Sodor Bay Bridge
Arched Viaduct
3-1/2" Single Curved Switch Track - 2 pcs. 1 $5.97
Douglas the Scottish Twin 1
Straight and Curved Expansion Pack
Alfie
Rosie Wooden Character
Donald the Scottish Twin
Sodor Fire Crew Wooden Character - 2pk
Salty
Trevor
Suretrack Connectors 2
Fergus
Aquarium Cars
Breakdown Train
Byron the Bulldozer Wooden Character
Cross & Switch Expansion Pack
Ascending Track Risers - 2 pcs.
Adventures of Percy 3pk.

Susan
Train clueless

shilo
04-29-2008, 01:21 AM
DS doesn't have a very big toy collection... except for thomas. so i don't think there's anything wrong with your list if you have an established train nut. DS's a puzzle, lego and thomas track nut. i'm not familiar with all of the parts you posted, but i can tell you some of DS's favorites if that helps? we do have a Nilo but haven't expanded to the extenders (yet?). when he runs out of room on the table, he just continues or makes his more elaborate layouts on the floor.

if it helps, my DS is almost three, has been playing with thomas 'stuff' since about 18mos, but he's a little engineer just like daddy and builds track layouts comparable to some 4 and 5 year olds we've played with. we kind of bought as his interest developed. when he seemed to be looking for 'more' of things, we kept track (no pun intended ;)), and that's what we picked up for the next bday or holiday or just because to keep him interested. so we have a lot of track, but not all that many 'destinations' by comparison just b/c that's what DS seemed to be ready for. do you know if your DC likes to build more complex track layouts vs. ones with more destinations? i know it's hard to pass up a good deal, but unless you know for sure that your DC is really into it, you might want to think about how much you invest in it. there is a lot available out there used if you don't mind looking for it, altho some people just want to clear out their entire collection and won't separate out individual pieces or destinations. anyway...

my DS really likes ascending track and risers ("up downs" :)) so those are probably the single most used things in our collection. he reaches for the stacking risers and elevated track foundation pieces before the ascending risers you have, i think because the other two are more stable? curves and straight sections get equal play, and the switches get intermittent use. switches are probably the hardest, as it seems like you never have the right one when you need it. having two of the switch T's is probably the simplest switch piece to use (one on either side of the table), but the others are useful too. maybe keep the switch expansion pack, but return the others for now?

DS can make elevated curve tracks on his own, but he really likes the arched viaduct pieces better, so i would definitely keep those. we have 2 sets (of 2) and they are almost always on the table or being used in a floor layout. they are much more stable than elevated curves, so that's probably why.

as far as bridges, we have the collapsing sodor bridge which doesn't get used that much. i'd say he uses the smaller covered bridge (knapford), the little bump bridge that came with our original figure 8 set and the clock tower bridge more often. maybe pick just one bridge to keep for now and if your DC turns out to be a bridge nut, you can alway get more later. just fyi, the sodor bay bridge is BIG like our collapsing bridge is. when we use it up on the table, it only really fits well if you put it going diagonally across the middle of the table. by the time you fit a curve, ascend to it, cross the bridge, descend and curve again you're out of room. so it becomes the main focus of that layout. i would guess that's why DS goes for the smaller bridges first.

for buildings, with the exception of the roundhouse which gets a lot of play, we've only picked up a few smaller ones so far. we have quarry mine tunnel (DS loves the trap door!), the water tower that came with our figure 8, the cargo transfer station and the sodor engine wash and all are very popular in layouts around here.

engines are more popular than cars in our house, especially if he has an episode or DVD that 'stars' that engine. he does play with some of the other cars like the aquarium cars, but not nearly as often as the engines. so i'd probably keep the figures/cars/engines that you know DC likes in episodes and return the rest for now until s/he shows interest in them.

anyway, hth,
lori

1964pandora
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Wow, Lori, THANK YOU so much for all of that. You've given me so much to think about and saved me so much time/effort! I need to read through what you've written several times to let it all soak in!

Susan

geochick
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
We are a huge Thomas household. We have every train. No joke. We also have about 75% of the destinations. My general rule with the trains is There Are No Rules.

If your kid gets into it as much as mine, you'll soon find out that the coolest thing about it is that there is something new each day. My ds builds new track or adds this or that destination. Sometimes all the buildings are in the same quadrant. Sometimes there are no buildings because we're on vacation and brought only enough track for a circle and 3 engines. That being said, my ds's favorite destinations are the bridges and tunnels.

So, I'd say buy what looks fun to you and your kid. Stop whenever your budget is done or your kid loses interest. My ds's interest started when he was 1. He is now 4 and plays with his trains daily. Don't feel limited to the table. Use the floor whenever you can. Those connectors that bring the track to the floor are really unstable and frustrating for a kid.

August Mom
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
I haven't bought Thomas for about a year, so I may be behind the times. In general, DS preferred engines to the other cars but the cars that actually do something, DS liked better than others. For example, the recycling cars spin and you can take the tires off. So, he thought those were neat. As far as buildings, he really liked the water tower and the conductor's shed. He likes the roundhouse, but I think it was too expensive and makes it more difficult to configure your track IMO. Cranky is fun. All the bridges are pretty fun.

To expand the Figure 8, we bought the Figure 8 expansion pack and the straight and curved expansion pack. Lots of switches were important in our expansion. We also bought some more male connectors and the ascending expansion pack.

Good luck.

jvs195
04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
We have TONs of Thomas, but DS is 3 and has been into them since around 12 months. Not all of our destinations fit on our table, but DS doesn't seem to mind. He takes them anywhere he wants to play (I wonder sometimes why I got the table) and builds setups with or without track. It sounds like you have a great start, I found it better to give them out in small increments or he became overwhelmed. Also each new one is his favorite for a week or more. There are sample layouts in those booklets you get with the items and I think some on the Learning curve website to help give you ideas.