PDA

View Full Version : Want Tripp Trapp, but have anxiety about it

Bubbasmom
04-28-2008, 04:10 PM
What keeps the baby from kicking the table and falling backwards? I don't see any wheels and I just keep having these terrifying thoughts of baby falling backwards on ceramic tile floor.

Any advice????

kayte
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Well, they would have to have reallllllly long legs... The chair itself has legs that start further forward that the seat (the weight) and extent past it in the back. In order to flip it backwards you would have to push with something longer than the legs and from a distance higher than the legs are long, to get it over the hump and go backwards...

If you baby kicks(pushes off from) the table the only thing that can happen (and it does happen around her with our 27 mo) is that the chair pushes back from the table---but it is not going to flip backwards.

HTH

amandabea
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't think tipping over backwards is an issue at all as the PP mentioned because of the design -- angled front legs and extended base legs. we have the Tripp Trapp and love it by the way. My DD does push back against the table and all that happens is that her chair slides backwards. I suppose that if the base legs got caught under an area rug, I "guess" it could tip backward if your DC pushed hard enough.

MontrealMum
04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
We have a Tripp Trapp and DS kicks the table all the time. It moves the chair back along the floor, but it does not tip over. If you remember any of your highschool physics, you'll see that it is highly unlikely that the Tripp Trapp will tip over backwards. It's part of the design. I say highly unlikely because if someone tall enough/strong enough with enough will to shove in exactly the right place (like against a wall) *might* be able to do it. Especially if it was not sitting flat on the floor - and why wouldn't it be flat? In order to tip, it would have to be someone of adult size, and fairly deliberate, and an upwards-pulling motion would have to be involved with the front of the chair. Someone would have to think long and hard, and really, really TRY to tip the thing. I imagine in the same scenario you could tip the thing sideways too, but again, very very unlikely.

ETA: Think - center of gravity. It's directly under the seat - right under the child's bum. That's why the "legs" and "feet" are angled on the chair. Because of this it's got to be one of, if not the, sturdiest, tip-free chairs on the market.

brittone2
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
ITA w/ the PPs. Part of the incredible usefulness of this chair IMO is the design. It is hard to tip, IMO. Quite hard, in fact! It is definitely set up differently than a typical high chair.

1964pandora
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
We have two and I have two rambunctious kids who began sitting in them from something like 15 months on. We've never even come close to having them tip over. I'm looking at our chairs now and trying to figure out why it would never happen. I agree with everyone's comments, and would add that since you adjust the chair to the child's height, the child wouldn't be able to get their legs at the right angle to get the right "push off" to push the chair over. They could push it back, but they couldn't get at the right angle to make it push completely over. Like someone said, the length of the base and the way it sticks out so far behind the chair, makes it nearly impossible to do. Sorry, I'm not describing it very well. Trust me, you'll love it. I never, never get tired of our Stokkes!

Susan

tmarie
04-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I LOVE my trip trap. I was worried about it tipping as well. My dd kicks the table all the time and insists on climbing up and down from the chair by herself (she has been doing this since 2.5 yo). My biggest fear was the tip factor and whether or not dd would like it (and thus justify the cost). What has impressed me most is how sturdy it is. I never worry about it tipping. I love how easy it is to clean and my dd is very comfortable in it--she loves having her own seat at the table!

HTH!

Bubbasmom
05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone! this was very informative. I'm definitely getting one!