PDA

View Full Version : Using SafeSeat and getting strange looks

HIU8
04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
This is sort of a bitch, vut not sure if it belongs here or bitching post. I was out with DD on Sunday going to Target and the grocery store while DH took DS to a birthday party. DD fell asleep in her SafeSeat on the way to Target, so instead of waking her up and putting her in the Target cart, I used our universal carseat carrier (DD only sleeps in her carseat during the day at almost 11 months). While going through Target I got at least 4 or 5 strange to disgusted looks from people. They take one look at DD who is large and think I don't know what I am doing and that DD no longer belongs in an infant seat (someone actually said this to me). These same people have DC in carseats on top of the grocery cart. A few had older toddlers. I wish 1) people actually knew what they were talking about, 2) people would just mind their own business b/c I probably know a bit more than they do about DD's carseat situation. While DD is her safeseat is very heavy for me, I love the option of not having to take her out of it when she is sleeping. BTW DD is about 23 lbs and 30ish inches (although she is very leggy and has roughly 1.5 to 2 inches of shell above her head still--and she is on the 2nd set of slots). Thanks, just had to get that off my chest.

mom2binsd
04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Don't you wish you had dime for each time you say an infant seat perched ontop of a grocery cart.....I was working at a consignment sale last week and someone brought in a pristine Safeseat...I asked her why it looked so new..."oh it can only be rearfacing and we wanted to forward face sooner"....uhm that's the beauty of the seat...they also had a combi that they liked better...and guess what both of those better seats were still sitting there after presale - but the nasty evenflo's and old graco's were gone and the safeseat was priced at 40.00 and was in brand new shape (not that I'd buy a seat at a sale but if you were it would have been the one to get!)

On a similar note the folks over at Mamasource are killing me...now there's a police officer saying Britax's don't fit in many cars, are overpriced, unnecessary and that you don't need to harness past 40 pounds- oh and a few others who think the Alpha Omega is THE best seat and that will be the only seat they need....so glad I found you guys a few years ago!

Joolsplus2
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Been there, done that!!!

Don't you wish there were a big visible line on the top of the seat showing how high the head can be before it's outgrown? Then people would shut their fat attitudes because they could see that your kid is NOT too big for that seat. (The worst one was the BRU lady trying to tell me Leah was too big for her seat, they learned 'in their class' that feet hanging over was a sign of outgrowing the seat...sounds like blatant marketing to me, lol).

Man, I love that seat, though...I still miss it some days...maybe I need the orbit toddler system to feed my need for hauling a sleeping toddler around :boogie:

DrSally
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I moved DS from a snugride (22lbs) at 4 months to a Safeseat until like 6 months. To get use out of the safeseat and b/c DS couldn't sit up yet. Who cares, that's weird that you got looks.

belovedgandp
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Isn't it annoying. People view infant carriers as something that they are excited to have their kid outgrow. Like it's a big, important milestone.

My June 2007 boy is still in his SafeSeat and loves it. My oldest outgrew a Snugride at 4 months and it was such a pain when he wasn't able to sit up yet, so the SafeSeat was one of the things I absolutely wanted for my second baby.

We're still using our seat. Now that the weather has finally warmed up, I leave it in the car 90+% of the time, but it is handy to be able to take it out still. The only pain I'm having now is having two strollers in the van - carrier frame and Mac Daytripper.

I'm actually jealous yours slept well enough to leave in the seat. I've tried and tried and he wakes as soon as I try to unlatch it.