PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk 3-across again?

Piglet
04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
DH and I are just starting to think about replacing our 2000 Mazda Protege which does not fit 3-across. We have done fine with just the 2 carseats in it and don't look forward to replacing it, since it is so reliable. We have a Sienna, for the big family trips, but want a family-sized sedan for day to day. Here is the criteria - I want something fuel efficient and well built. I can't think of too many domestic cars that I would like, although they tend to be great for 3-across. I love the Mazda, but the Mazda 6 is probably too small for 3-across (is it?). Can you fit 3 in a Camry, Accord or DH's dream car - a Infiniti G35X? What about Hyundais? Oh, the current seats are a Graco Turbobooster or Britax Parkway, a Marathon or a Scenera and a Graco Safeseat. We might be buying a Marathon or a Radian in the next few months in place of the Safeseat.

buddyleebaby
04-28-2008, 10:34 PM
We have a Hyundai Sonata and it fits three across, but only if two of the seats are on the narrow side.

Neatfreak
04-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Do you think that you could borrow a third seat (like a MA or a Radian) and try out three-across? I'm curious because when we were traveling in 2007, I was able to get my DD's FFing MA secure in an outboard positon next to my nephew's RFing MA in the center. And this was in my SIL's Protege sedan. We didn't have a third seat to play with, but if there was room for another MA on one side, well, maybe there would be on the other side. Or else room for a Radian.

How to buckle in the kid in the center positon is another story, I'm sure ...

o_mom
04-29-2008, 07:18 AM
I can tell you that the Accord will be very tough to do. DH has a 2006 Accord. The seats angle forward near the doors. This makes any outboard seat scoot toward the center. You certainly cannot use LATCH for a three across since the LATCH anchors are inside of the seatbelts and there is about 6 inches between two seats installed outboard with LATCH. I have a theory (untested) that I could get a Radian in the center and two large Britax on the outside, but it would be very, very tight. The Radian is a PITB to install in that car, also.

The Sonata is supposed to have a bigger back seat - I have heard from more than one person that it is good for three across.

Piglet
04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
See that is funny, because we used to have a Hyundai Santa Fe (same base as the Sonata) and we coudn't fit 3-across for anything because of the door handles and the seat angles near the door. I am surprised to hear of success in the Sonata, but maybe the newer model is better that way. The catch for us is the booster - it is SO hard to buckle in a tight backseat. If we had all 3 kids in harnessed seats, I bet we could do it even in the Protege.

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 11:37 AM
See that is funny, because we used to have a Hyundai Santa Fe (same base as the Sonata) and we coudn't fit 3-across for anything because of the door handles and the seat angles near the door. I am surprised to hear of success in the Sonata, but maybe the newer model is better that way. The catch for us is the booster - it is SO hard to buckle in a tight backseat. If we had all 3 kids in harnessed seats, I bet we could do it even in the Protege.

Have you tried the RN? I'm thinking you might get a RN RFg in the center, another RN FF outboard and the booster outboard on the other side.

Or RN RFg center and a MA FFg outboard on one side, booster on the other. The RN is soooo narrow, I'd give it a try.

HTH