PDA

View Full Version : How "different" is it going from a Britax to a Radian?

caribbeanmama
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

This is Naty, I had to re-register all over again with a different username. Anyway, our RA (2002 model) is expiring in May 08 and I am sobbing. We have loved, loved, loved this seat and are totally spoiled by it. My almost 3 year old DS is using it right now and my other 5 year old DS is using a Decathlon. I am planning to pass down the DC to my 3 year old and purchase a Radian 65 for my 5 year old.

The reason I am buying the Radian 65 is because my 5 year old is in the middle seat right now and with the DC it is difficult to see (I drive a Volvo V70 SW). Since the base of the Radian is much lower than the base of the DC and the Radian is the narrowest harnessed seat on the market, I think it makes sense, as we need to fit three carseats across in the back.

My question/concern is that I have not seen the Radian in person in a long time. How does the fabric on the Radian compare to the Britaxes? Is it very different going from a Britax to a Radian - any issues with the harness/crotch areas of the Radian? My 5 year old has no trouble with his DC and he can buckle himself up with his eyes closed. Also, how is the installation FF in the center seat?

Thanks in advance.

Joolsplus2
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Hihi!

The installation will be different (ie, harder in most cases... it's going to take some sweat and muscle and possibly tears and cursing, but it DOES get easier for most of us in most cars with practice), but it's actually quite 'britax esque' in it's padding and features, I don't think the adjustment to it will be all that bad (nontwist straps, velcro to keep straps out of the way, crotch strap is about the same, belly pad, decent padding, high quality cover...). We've been using ours for a couple years, and the harness adjustment is no worse than the Decathlon (Believe it or not, the Graco Nautilus has an adjuster as nice as the Roundabout, pity the seat's so wide!).

There is a small number of small improvements you can legally make to the seat: Wider buckle tong(ues) can be purchased, and a longer crotch strap, that makes it a little easier to buckle, IMO...and the seat was crash tested with the Britax Chest clip, so you may replace the chest clip (which some kids really, really hate) with a Britax one that's a lot more comfy for kids with a problem. You may be happy with the harness the way it is out of the box, but those 'fixes' are available should you have a problem :)

August Mom
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't think it will be too bad of an adjustment - the biggest issue is whether it will install well in your car. You may want to order from target.com or elitecarseats.com with return insurance because the Radian can be finnicky in some vehicles.

FWIW, DS has a MA in my car and a Radian in DH's car. He transitions between them fine. He says he likes the Radian better. I hope so. That's about to become his primary seat as we give the MA to DD. I think the MA has more padding and the fabric is plusher. However, the Radian is nice. The chest clip is bulkier, but DS hasn't complained. He has no problem fastening either the MA or the Radian. The thing I don't like about the chest clip is that it really pulls the shoulder straps in toward the center, so they rub against DS's neck more (and he refuses to use the comfort pads).

As far as install - we have sucessfully installed it FF in a Prius, outboard passenger side, FF in a 2004 Camry in both outboard positions and RF in the driver's side outboard position. The main installation difference is that you only tighten from 1 side with the Radian. The LATCH connectors are the same. If you can't get it tight, try pushing the strap release button (that you would use to loosen the strap) while someone else pulls the strap. DH and I have done this in the Prius. With the Camry, I had a lot of trouble getting it installed on the passenger side FF. I installed it just as easily as the MA on the driver's side. It was weird. Anyway, I completely removed the seat and started over and then I got a great install, although it was still more difficult than on the passenger side. I have no idea why.

Good luck. If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

bubbaray
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
We have 2 MAs and 2 RNs. DD#1 moved from the MAs (one in my van, one in DH's SUV) when DD#2 was born (or shortly thereafter). She really likes the RN b/c she can climb into it herself. If I let her, she could do the harness herself. She's never complained about it being uncomfortable.

It is harder to install in our vehicles (2005 Ody with LATCH, 1997 Pathfinder w/o Latch) than the MA. DH's belt install is rock solid, as is my LATCH -- at little bit more finicky than the MA.

Its a nice seat for what it is. IMO, its not a travel seat -- it weighs a TON! I also think the MA installs easier, better and faster in more vehicles, so if I were travelling, I'd take our MAs and not the RNs (unless I was 100% sure that the RNs would install well in vehicle at destination).

We purchased the RN specifically for the higher top slot. I figure we will get at least an extra year out of the RN over the MA for DD#1. That was a huge deal for us as there aren't (yet) any high harness/high weight seats like the Regent/Frontier/Nautilus available here in Canada. The RN has the highest top slot of the harnessed seats here. So, really, it was our only choice. Rumor has it that the Frontier and the Nautilus will both be sold in Canada soon (fingers crossed).

We would purchase the RN again based on the top slot height alone.

KrisM
04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
DS is practically 4 and we moved him from a BV to a RN a couple months ago. He prefers the Radian. It's easier for him to get into on his own, which is nice. Also, he just puts his feet on the side of the RN and they don't just hang. I think he's more comfortable overall.

I thought he might complain about not being able to see as well, but he hasn't.

It is harder to install than the BV. I have not been able to install it tightly without having the benefit of a reclining seatback. But, since it does recline, I use that to my benefit and can get it in tightly with either LATCH or belts. I wouldn't travel with it because I would not be confident that I could install it properly.

Neatfreak
04-29-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm not the original poster, but I was going to write up a very similiar post soon, so I wanted to say thanks for the info! I am torn between the ease of the MA install, and the eight year lifespan of the Radian. Keeps me awake at night sometimes!

brookemd
04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
We just got a radian for our 2 yo DS (he is in a Blvd in our other car). He is FF in both cars at this point. I made the modifications to the seat that Jools mentioned - wider buckle tongs (holy pain in the bottom to get the old ones off!), longer crotch strap and swapped radian chest clip for a britax chest clip. What a difference those changes make - especially using the britax chest clip. The install wasn't as easy as a britax instal (using LATCH in both cars), but it wasn't too bad, and I got it rock solid. Thanks to OP for the tip about pressing the button on the latch while pulling - I'll try that next time. It's only been a few days, but so far this seems to be DS's favorite seat (although he has always been happy in his blvd). He really likes being able to climb into the radian himself though and says it is comfortable. Overall, I'd say it is very on-par with our britax seat...

chays
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
We have a Volvo XC70 with a RN in between 2 MAs. DS (4.5) likes them both. I will say that since the RN is a taller seat, the MA only sits a little taller than the RN from a rearview perspective. That said, I have no trouble seeing over the top of the seat...its only slightly higher than the center seat's headrest when pushed all the way down. The RN is a lot tougher to install than the MA, but I got a GREAT install after some sweat, tears & maybe a little blood :-) Incidentally, we put the Britax chest clip on and I may get the other add ons because I think they will make it a little easier to use.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
We have a Radian and Marathon and once we got used to install, it's just as easy.

The Radian is a great travel seat because it folds up and has the shoulder strap, so it is much easier to carry through the airport than a bulkier seat. And it sits so low that the tray table can be used on the plane. That is the best part.

She is getting close to outgrowing the Marathon, so the Radian will become the primary seat in DH's car and I think it will actually fit better because it sits lower.

caribbeanmama
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks all for your replies!!! They are extremely helpful as I make this decision. After reading some of your observations regarding the RN's installation, I can't help but to fear the experience. What exactly makes the RN's install more difficult. I have no LATCH in the center seat - will the installation with the seatbelt be a pain? Some of you also mention modifications you made to the RN...gosh all this sounds really overwhelming. I am sure the RN is the way to go, but I wish I had more options.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
For those used to Britax, it can be harder to use the LATCH on the Radian because it only adjusts from one side. Britax adjusts both sides separately and that can make it easier.

But for a seatbelt install, I far prefer the Radian. The velcro slits in the back of the cover open up for you to reach in and be able to pull the seatbelt end straight up, and also to untwist and thread it through there much easier. (this is especially helpful when installing on an airplane). The Britax doesn't do that and that makes a seatbelt install with a Britax harder than the Radian. (I'm talking FF here, I've never installed the Radian RF so I can't speak to that)

I didn't make any modifications to our Radian and it is just fine.

chays
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
The belt path is really narrow and its difficult to get really tight in some cars. Its also at an angle that can make it difficult to get a tight install without trying several times. The belt can bunch up and seem tight when its really not. Also, there is no lockoff, so you have to rely on the car's ratcheting retractor. The easiest installs are probably where the vehicle's seat can recline to give you room to pull the belt tight. Then you straighten up the vehicle seat and get the RN jammed in there really tight.

I haven't had any major problems in the Volvo...it is fine mostly because the buckle stalk is low and doesn't intrude into the belt path. I would install in the "reclined" mode, though.

Good luck!