PDA

View Full Version : HS Graduation gift ideas

KpbS
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey there,

Anyone have any good ideas for high school graduation gifts? I have cousins graduating and it has been sooo long since I graduated....In years past I have given monogrammed towels and I know money is appreciated but not always the best idea for HS....But neither seems right in this situation. Any thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I think $ or gift cards to somewhere like Target or IKEA would be great. $ is always a hit, as far as I know w/ hs grads. The gcs would be nice if they will be going off to college or an apartment and need stuff for it.

Beth

LBW
04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Luggage? I know my parents bought me a couple of Lands End monogrammed duffles the summer after I graduated HS, and I loved them. They felt like a really "adult" gift!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
When my brother graduated high school we got him an ipod. You can get them pretty inexpensively now (like the shuffle) so that is a nice option. I agree that gift cards are a great idea. Even Target and Walmart are great options.

shilo
04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
target, ikea, bed bath and beyond/linens and things are all good gc's to get if they are heading off to college/out on their own. as is a single set of dishes and utensils (plate, cereal sized bowl, big-mug, fork, knife and spoon) for those late night dorm snacks - everyone on my floor was bumming mine off of me for the first semester of school until they clued in and got their own. another dorm/first place must have that everyone bummed off of me - a small toolbox/kit (we still have it).

ideas that would work for going away or staying home:
i-tunes gift card, gas card, movie card or a seasons pass to a local amusement park for the summer?

hth, lori

cvanbrunt
04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
A toolbox. Include all the basics and a level and set of tiny screwdrivers. He or she will be very popular in the dorm.

ritacheetah
04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm giving my niece money and a copy of "Oh the Places You Will Go" by Dr. Suess. I gave it to someone else a few years ago and it was a big hit.

ahrimie
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
if they're going to college, north face backpacks are a huge hit. almost every "cool" college student has one :P i like the ipod idea too.

gift cards and cash though are always a good gift, especially if they will be living in a dorm or moving away. money is always needed. i went away for college so practical gifts were really appreciated. i mostly received money and bought everything when i got to school.

belovedgandp
04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I love the tool box idea! Great for anyone moving out to a dorm or apartment.

Along similar lines I've given things like power strips, clip lamps, small fans, dishes - dorm life essentials.

gatorruth
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
How about a laundry basket, detergent and a few rolls of quarters??

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
How about a laundry basket, detergent and a few rolls of quarters??

If they're in the dorm then nowadays they don't even need quarters anymore. They just preload $ onto their ID cards and swipe it for laundry. I remember hoarding quarters. They have it so easy now. My dh and I were hs sweethearts who did the long distance thing in college and we had to spend almost all our $ on calling each other. Now, my little siblings IL just chat on their cell phones with free minutes or IM each other. Lucky ducks. It sure would have been nice to not have that monthly phone bill!

Beth

Pennylane
04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I have two nephews graduating in June and I am giving them both a gift card to the college bookstore where they are planning on attending.

Ann