PDA

View Full Version : Potty training issue question

BillK
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
So we finally took the plunge and started to try potty training Zach (turned 3 in February). We had started the process prior to his 3rd bday - but when we adopted Ben and he came home on Feb. 16th - everything went to heck with Zach's potty training - plus all the added insanity of suddenly being the parents of a 3 year old and a 9 month old just was too much - so we went back to diapers for a bit.

Anyway....Zach has been trying to use the potty since this past Saturday. He's only had 3-4 pee accidents so far. The problem is he had 1 poo on Saturday (in the potty) and hasn't poo'd since then. We're both getting a bit concerned about it. He's not complained about having to poo and is eating fine - but we're going on 3 days now w/o a poo.

Is this normal? Any tips? So far - him having an accident doesn't seem to upset him too much - which also concerns us. Thanks in advance for any replies.

JBaxter
04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Congrats on the potty training phase!

Sounds normal. When boys ( and I say boys because Ive only had boys) learn to control body functions they will have a tendency to hold them because they can. My suggestion is 1 to 2 oz of prune juice daily. We mixed ours with apple and diluted it. It will keep his poo softer so it doenst hurt coming out painful poos can cause big issues with potty training. 6oz of pear juice will also do the same thing. Incourage lots of fluids. Bottomless ( or naked) worked the best for all 3 of mine. They seemed to remember they had to pee better if it was "free".