PDA

View Full Version : I can't move again

bethie_73
04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I KNOW we will, probably next year and then at LEAST one more time. It was fun when we were younger (In the 12 years we have been married we have moved 8 times 3 times across the country.) DS is NOT doing well with this move. it will get better, I know, but he started out fine and is just a mess now. We will be getting back in a routine this week and he really likes this house which helps. But this really sucks. :dizzy:

jawilli4
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Are you married to my husband or does yours have a brother??? :) I just wanted to let you know that I can totally commisserate with you. FWIW in the 9 years we've been married we've moved eight times, although to be fair only three have been of significant distance. We just moved to Virginia less than a month ago and my husband already told me his company has plans to move our whole family to either Singapore or Luxemberg next year. My kiddos are too young to understand all of our moves, but this year we had to pull DS out of preschool early and we can't find any new friends for him in the area because all of the MOMS clubs in the area don't include our zipcode and library time is done until fall. Good luck getting DS settled in to a new routine and happy again. I hope you settle in quickly to your new environment and that you like your new house, too. Although not too much so it will be easier to move whenever that may be. ;)

Jan

ha98ed14
04-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Question: If your families move so frequently, you must only average 1 to 3 years in one place. Do you buy and sell your home each time, or do you just rent until you know how long you plan to be there? I ask because we are thinking of moving back to Columbus, OH, where I am from, but we aren't sure if it will be a permanent place to raise DD or a stop over til we figure out a place we want to be. DH loves the ocean, but they don't have an ocean in central ohio. Not sure if we should try to buy up front or wait a year til we decide what to do...

bethie_73
04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
My super long answer.

We have bought, the first place we lived in for barely 2 years, but the market was VERY strong so we weren't too worried. The second place we built, and still own... its been on the market over a year. It is VERY well priced, and gets huge complements from everyone who sees it. But it is in CO where everyone and his brother is foreclosing. So we don't have an option. (we have flipped houses, but that's a whole other story)

We do not plan on being in MD that long, maybe another couple of years. So we are renting. We could buy, and the market is priced well and will probably come up when we decide to move. But we do not want to stay here. I should state that we built a house in CO because we planned on being there a while (we were in it the longest of any place, almost 3 years), but DH was offered his DREAM job, and although we did not want to move, he couldn't turn down this opportunity (and it really has been an opportunity)

Personally I would not buy unless you know you would be staying for 3 years. When the market was super hot 3-4years ago in certain markets. I may have said something different. But the mortgage brokers have gotten slammed recently, and it is much harder to get a mortgage, so if you buy, and then decide to move, and can't sell. You MAY be stuck until you sell to be able to get a mortgage.

HTH. PM me if you have questions :)

elliput
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
As another serial mover ( 8 times in 15 years- 4 cross country), if you are unsure, rent. We did wait a couple years to purchase a house after our first major move, but DH ended up being laid of from the company he worked for 10 days after our closing. After 10 years (yes, years), we finally have a sell contract on that house. We knew the market wasn't great in that area, but we thought we needed to be home-owners instead of renters for tax purposes. In the current employment and housing markets, it is far better to rent at this time if you are looking at short term (less than 5 years).

jawilli4
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
ITA in the current market it might be best to rent until you're sure you want to stay in OH and in what neighborhood you'd like to buy. Of course, it being your home town you have an advantage, but we just bought a house (in a week) and now have buyers remorse. Go figure. However, I really think it also depends on any relocation assistance you might get from an employer. My husband's company offers a generous relo package so it doesn't make sense for us to rent long term. (It would have short term but that's another bitch altogether...) Good luck in deciding and relocating.