PDA

View Full Version : Which seat in which car?

wendibird22
04-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Looking for a recommendation on which seat to install in which car. We bought a MA and a True Fit. DD is 9mos (18lbs and 28in) and will be RF until she reaches the RF limits of the seats. I drive a 2007 Ody and DH drives a 2003, 2-dr Civic. DH does DC drop off/pick up so DD is in his car M-F. We use the Ody for evenings/weekends and family trips. DH isn't tall but prefers to have his seat back all the way in the Civic. Right now the Snugride is installed in the center with latch. I know that DH will have some challenges getting DD in/out of a RF seat with his 2-dr, so we are looking for best fit and ease of use. Any suggestions or will they both install well and fit well in either car?

Joolsplus2
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
There's no Center LATCH in that car... if you want a seat in the center, you'll have to install it with the seatbelt :).

But really, do what fits best... whichever seat each person prefers in their car and can use properly every time (the built in lockoffs on the True Fit MAY make it work better in the middle of the Civic, not to mention the headrest being removeable might make it fit better...), but if there's a strong preference or fit either way, that's what should drive you.

:)

o_mom
04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
OK, first off you can't use LATCH in the center of a Honda sedan, so go out and move the Snugride outboard or use the seatbelt in the center.

If she is still within the limits of the TrueFit without the headrest, I would put that in the Civic to give him more room. In fact I would probably put it in that one anyway as it is lower to the seat which will make it easier to get her in and out without any head-bonking. If you want to keep her center (also easier to get in and out, IMO), the lockoff on the True-Fit is supposed to be easier to use than the MA, so that would be another plus for the True-Fit.

o_mom
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I swear we didn't plan that! :ROTFLMAO:

There's no Center LATCH in that car... if you want a seat in the center, you'll have to install it with the seatbelt :).

But really, do what fits best... whichever seat each person prefers in their car and can use properly every time (the built in lockoffs on the True Fit MAY make it work better in the middle of the Civic, not to mention the headrest being removeable might make it fit better...), but if there's a strong preference or fit either way, that's what should drive you.

:)

wendibird22
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Hmm...interesting about the center latch because we had it outboard and the tech moved it center using latch. Maybe I have written the wrong model year or is this true of all Civic regardless of model and year?

o_mom
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that at least through 2007 it was not allowed - Julie has a LATCH manual to look it up in.

Check the vehicle manual, but unless there are three sets of anchors (6 total anchors in the seat crack), then there isn't a center LATCH position. Honda does not allow you to 'borrow' the anchors from the outboard seating position to use in the center.

wendibird22
04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I'll have to have DH check his manual, but now that you mention it, I think there are only 4 anchors. Gee, so glad we took the car to the safety check and had the "experts" install it for us and that we've had it installed wrong for the last 9 months! Wow. I'm speechless. You trust that the person with the certification knows what they are doing (it was our local fire and police officers).

o_mom
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Please call the place you went and talk to them. They need the feedback. If they are unresponsive or unconcerned, then you can talk with their supervisor. If that gets you nowhere, then as a last resort you can report them to SafeKids, the certifying organization.

Joolsplus2
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I'll have to have DH check his manual, but now that you mention it, I think there are only 4 anchors. Gee, so glad we took the car to the safety check and had the "experts" install it for us and that we've had it installed wrong for the last 9 months! Wow. I'm speechless. You trust that the person with the certification knows what they are doing (it was our local fire and police officers).

Yeah, some techs give the 'profession' a baaaaad name... (On the other hand I don't want you to feel 9 months of guilt about it, because it's really kind of a 'Honda has nervous lawyers' situation, not a 'LATCH in the center will fail instantly' situation....most companies are coming around to allowing center LATCH, but Honda is lagging behind the crowd it's probably not UNsafe, but it's definitely not allowed, if that makes sense?...).

wendibird22
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
DH just looked at his owner's manual and in the section that covers recommended/safest seating areas for car seats it has arrows pointing to the positions approved for infant rear facing seats and the arrows point to both outboard and the center position. It does recommend that only the outboard seating be used for a forward facing seat. On the section on LATCH it does not indicate whether you can/cannot use the anchors for the center position. There's nothing in the manual that says that the center install can't use the anchors and must use the seat belt. Why is that?

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
On the section on LATCH it does not indicate whether you can/cannot use the anchors for the center position.>>>

See, but not saying it's specifically ok, then they are saying it's not ok.

Where's the <shrugging> icon...

I just know for sure that the www.saferidenews.com LATCH manual has info from the top dogs at all the auto companies and Honda still doesn't approve of LATCH in the center (unless it's specifically in the center, like the new CR-V's and Ridgelines and I think maybe Accords) :)