PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in southern VA/northern NC

boolady
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
We will be driving from NJ to Hilton Head to visit family in a few weeks, and have decided to stop on the way there and spend 1 night to break up the drive. It looks like southern VA/northern NC will be about halfway for us.

Any suggestions on a nice, safe area/hotel with nearby restaurants that won't take us too far off track of Interstate 95? A nice mall or other place to get out and stretch our legs would be great, and if there's an area with any nice historical sites or other attractions, that would be even better.

TIA.

ilfaith
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
How about Richmond, Virginia?

We've driven many times New York to Jacksonville, FL (and back), and of the places we've spent the night, Richmond definately has the most to offer. There are a variety of hotels (in every price range), lot's of good restaurants, and places to walk around...with plenty of historic attractions.

http://visit.richmond.com/visitors/index.aspx

boolady
05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks. I'll check it out.

jamsmu
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
We do the drive every few months and for a while there was so little south of Richmond and north of the Durham exit. It was tedious. We ended up staying in roach hotels.

There still isn't much. If its daytime, you'll find nice parks on your way north at the VA border (like the VA welcome center). Definitely a good spot to stretch, some even have playgrounds (I can't remember if its the 1st or 2nd stop on 95N after you cross into VA.) You won't find any malls on the highway in this area. A few strip centers, but not much. If its night, be prepared for a very long, dark drive over this part (and its always night for us when we drive south on 95.)

I'd stop by AAA and, if you're a member, get a trip planner made. I'd also contact Marriott Corp and ask for their hotel roster that covers the parts of the trip. Its actually a huge book, per hotel type. I picked one up at a Courtyard and another at a Fairfield. Now I keep them in my car.