PDA

View Full Version : baby in a marathon?

spu
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
DS#4 arrived on 1.30.08, and I decided to put him into one of our MAs since the twins are in boosters now. It's still before the official expiration date on the seat, and he seems to fit fine - he doesn't slump sideways or forward. I have it in the middle row, middle seat, and tethered tightly so that there's a good amount of recline. Is this OK? He's 3m old now, and over 13 lbs. I can't see the need to buy a carrier if he can stay in the MA. I don't miss carrying him in a seat in and out of places since he's happy in the sling.

Also, since the height and weight ratings are so high on MAs, is it ok if we use it past the expiration date? I'm the only owner, and it's only been moved less than 5 times in the 4 years we've had it.

Does anyone know if certified car seat inspectors can also look at how my baby fits in the seat?

tia!!
susan

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
You can definitely use a MA RFg with a 3mo. Try taking the rubber HUGS off (keep them in the pocket on the top rear of the cover -- you need them for FFg). Use rolled up receiving blankets to keep his head from flopping sideways. You want a 45 degree recline. The TT d/n need to be too tight for RFg.

No, its not OK to use a seat past the expiration period.

August Mom
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
You can definitely use the MA for a baby but not past the expiration date.

KrisM
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
You can definitely use a MA RFg with a 3mo. Try taking the rubber HUGS off (keep them in the pocket on the top rear of the cover -- you need them for FFg).
That is a great idea!

The TT d/n need to be too tight for RFg.

This will depend on the car. My seat ends up fairly upright when installed RFing. If I had DD in it as a baby, I would have had a pretty tight tether.

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
This will depend on the car. My seat ends up fairly upright when installed RFing. If I had DD in it as a baby, I would have had a pretty tight tether.

I guess. The TT on the MA is super long. I've never had to make it all that tight.

If the seat is installed RFg for a 3mo baby, the recline really does need to be at a 45 degree angle, not upright. The baby's head will flop forward.

KrisM
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I guess. The TT on the MA is super long. I've never had to make it all that tight.

If the seat is installed RFg for a 3mo baby, the recline really does need to be at a 45 degree angle, not upright. The baby's head will flop forward.

Right. In my car, I'd really have to pull on the tether to get the 45 deg angle. Otherwise, it'd be way too upright. DD is almost 2 years and I still have it pulled tight because she's straight up otherwise.