PDA

View Full Version : when to turn FF?

spu
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
DS is 18m, 30 lbs, and in a RF MA. He's happy as a clam. Should I keep him RF as long as he's comfy? When does it become safer to turn FF?

thanks!!
susan

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Try to keep him RFg to the limits of his seat. You need to check your manual. The RFg limits on the MAs has fluctuated from between 30lbs (some of the Canadian seats) to 35lbs (the most recent US seats). Kinda weird.

So, just check your manual.

August Mom
04-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think it's ever "safer" to turn FFing. If DS is happy RFing, I'd keep him RFing for as long as he's happy up until the RFing limits of the seat.

mommymy
04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
To tag along to the post...does it matter if the legs are bunched up? I have a 13 month old RF'ing and she looks kinda squished b/c her legs have to be bent to fit in the seat.

bubbaray
04-29-2008, 05:40 PM
No, bent legs aren't a concern. That's old school.

KrisM
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
To tag along to the post...does it matter if the legs are bunched up? I have a 13 month old RF'ing and she looks kinda squished b/c her legs have to be bent to fit in the seat.

Here's a link to a page of kids rear-facing. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx. If you click on the thumbnail photo, it'll enlarge and you'll see their legs.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
It's actually more comfy to have their legs bent than when you turn them FF and their legs are just dangling there with no support. My daughter hated FF until she got used to that. She said it hurt her legs.

Kids are much more flexible than adults. We would be in agony sitting like that, but they like it that way. Ever watch a kid sleep like a turtle with their legs all bunched up underneath them?

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Kids are actually at way way higher risk of leg injury when they go forward facing....
http://tinyurl.com/59rrby
"The lower extremity is among the most frequently injured body regions for children restrained by forward facing child restraint systems"