PDA

View Full Version : Another center latch question

tnrnchick74
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I was reading another thread about placing baby in infant seat center using latch...and it got me thinking...

I would LOVE to install my SS into my 2005 Nissan Sentra using the center of the back seat and ALSO using latch. The car manual doesn't say NOT to, but it doesn't say TO also. I'm 99% sure that there are only 2 pairs of latch connection sites on the seat...so I assumed that there wasn't a way to latch the SS in the center. BUT there is a top tether latch site in the middle.

Any experts out there that can give me guidance?? Thanks!

jeno
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
xxxxxxx

LilMonkeysMom
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Chances are that you will not be able to put the seat in the center AND use latch. Very few cars have latch anchors in the center. I was told by someone that it isn't cost-effective for manufacturers to put anchors in the center seat. Most families have 2 children and therefore use the 2 outer seats. Anyway, the instruction booklet for your car seat may give information about how close together the anchors need to be (e.g., "no more than X inches apart"). In that case, you can measure the two innermost anchors and see if they are close enough together. Chances are they won't be. Why the manufacturer would put a tether in the center but no anchors is beyond me - except that maybe the tether can be used for other purposes.

Another option - Why not install in the center seat using the seatbelt? Latch was developed to make it easier to install carseats, but using the seat belt is just as safe as long as you install the seat properly. You can ask your local police dept. or hospital if they have a car seat safety expert to check the installation for you - which is a good idea no matter where you install the seat or which method you use. Btw, I installed my son's infant seat in the center of my Jetta using the seatbelt and it worked out just fine! Good luck!

o_mom
04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Most likely no LATCH in the center, but you have a SafeSeat which is so easy with the seatbelt that I never even use LATCH with it. I can literally install that seat in less than 30 seconds in my van with the seatbelt.

Open the lockoff, put the belt through and buckle, pull the lap portion as tight as possible (pull up on the shoulder portion while pressing down on the base) and then close the lockoff over both parts of the belt. Done. If it is just a lap belt (no shoulder) it is even easier.

The top tether in the center is for a forward-facing seat. You use the seatbelt and the top tether together.

Piglet
04-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree with the suggestion to use the seatbelt and centre position. I have a WAY harder time installing my SS with LATCH - it has something to do with the angle the hooks come off the seat that makes it harder to get a tight fit in my Sienna.

momtobe520
04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
We just installed our Britax Companion into our Toyota FourRunner. We actually went to the dealership because we weren't clear looking at the manual what the recommendation was. I would recommend asking at your dealer (I took the base & seat) - they were very helpful in showing us where the center latches were and explaining how it could be used safely.

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
We just installed our Britax Companion into our Toyota FourRunner. We actually went to the dealership because we weren't clear looking at the manual what the recommendation was. I would recommend asking at your dealer (I took the base & seat) - they were very helpful in showing us where the center latches were and explaining how it could be used safely.
The 4runner doesn't allow center LATCH usage, unfortunately, so the Dealer has steered you wrong (which is a very common problem, most dealers don't know a thing about carseats unfortunately). Also the 4runner has a rule about not using the center seatbelt when using the LATCH on the Driver's side (so you would have to use the seatbelt behind the driver if you want someone else to sit in the center...kind of complicated, but it's their rule).
As with the Safeseat 1 the other poster has, the Companion has built in lockoffs that should make the installation in the center with the seatbelt perfectly simple. :)

tylersmama
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to add to the chorus...install in the center using the seatbelt. We did that with both the infant seat (especially if you're using a base...you'll only have to reinstall every great once in a while) and now with the convertible seat. The safety factor of being in the center far outweighs the very short-lived inconvenience of a slightly more difficult installation, IMO.

tnrnchick74
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

maestramommy
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
When we got our infant carseat I guess she didn't read our car instructions super carefully enough. Like yours it doesn't say NOT to install in the center seat, so we did because we assumed that the middle is the safest. Our seat had rigid LATCH connectors, so when they fit into the anchors we assumed all was well. It wasn't until 2 years later when I was browsing around in this forum that I read otherwise. I *think* Honda might have placed their anchors intentionally so that you could install your seat in the middle OR on the side. Since our connectors are rigid, if they didn't fit into the anchors, we would've given up and used the seatbelt. Which, by the way, is just as safe. I don't think you're supposed to use the tether hook when you install a seat rearfacing.

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
You do use the top tether when you install a Britax or Radian rearfacing :) (well, usually to the back leg of the front seat...). The top tether anchor is there so you can install the seat with the seatbelt forward facing and still top tether it.

:)

maestramommy
04-30-2008, 07:06 PM
You do use the top tether when you install a Britax or Radian rearfacing :) (well, usually to the back leg of the front seat...). The top tether anchor is there so you can install the seat with the seatbelt forward facing and still top tether it.

:)

Wait, now I'm confused. We have our RA rearfacing, but I don't see how you could use the top tether. Where does the tether connect to, and is it necessary? I vaguely remember Dh saying something about tethering it to something on the floor.

ahrimie
04-30-2008, 08:54 PM
we just installed our snugride the other day, in the middle.. and i have a 2002 hyundai santa fe (midsize suv). we didn't use the LATCH clip it comes with bc my husband insists you don't need it... but, when nudge it from the front, the whole seat and base and bounce up and down! is that supposed to happen?? that doesn't seem right to me.. but my husband keeps insisting he did it right.

Piglet
04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't think the 2002 has LATCH. My memory is fuzzy, but we had a 2002 Santa Fe and there were no LATCH anchors. The seat can "bounce" as long as it is not moving more than 1" in any direction at the seatbelt side. The side that hangs over the seat can go up and down. If you have never installed a carseat before, keep this tidbit of info handy - you can not wail on a carseat too much when installing :) Sit on it, yank on the seatbelt, and generally give it everything you got to get it really wedged in tight. There is a great video of an infant seat installation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5CLIok3eU
Ignore the locking clip part, since your car has locking seatbelts. The part where she pushes the base with her knee is the key for me. It was the first time I saw that technique and it really made it much easier!

ahrimie
04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
thanks for the clip, piglet! i guess it's allowed to "bounce" up and down, just not move side to side. my husband and i just watched it and hse said he did it just like so... and i think you're right, the 2002 doesn't have LATCH.

thanks again!!!

bubbaray
04-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Wait, now I'm confused. We have our RA rearfacing, but I don't see how you could use the top tether. Where does the tether connect to, and is it necessary? I vaguely remember Dh saying something about tethering it to something on the floor.

Depends on your vehicle. Some people TT to the seat tracks of the front seats.

Its not really allowed, but we have our MA RFg TT under the seat its installed on. Yeah, I know Britax now says not to do that in their manuals, but it d/n say it in *my* manual AND there is seriously no where else to TT it in my van.

Joolsplus2
05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Yup, it's called 'swedish' tethering and it really makes the installation a lot more solid (your dh read the manual, I'm very impressed!!!) Here's a basic page to show what it looks like http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

Piglet
05-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Melissa, do you drive an Ody? I was just learning about tether spots on Odys on car-seat.org:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9902

maestramommy
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Yup, it's called 'swedish' tethering and it really makes the installation a lot more solid (your dh read the manual, I'm very impressed!!!) Here's a basic page to show what it looks like http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html
Thanks. Yup, Dh is a congenital manual reader:) I remember now. We didn't do this because Dora was in the center, and tethering would've made her seat veer off to the side, which wouldn't be good. Course, now she's right behind the passenger seat, so it would make sense to tether. In another couple of months we'll be giving Arwyn the RA and putting Dora in a MA. I don't suppose they could sit right next to each other still rfing in an Accord?

bubbaray
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Melissa, do you drive an Ody? I was just learning about tether spots on Odys on car-seat.org:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9902

Well, for some reason, I can't see photos on that site, EVER, which is highly annoying. Going only from the text, the only RFg tether in the new Odys is *maybe* the center front console leg. Which means that you have to have the RFg seat be the passenger-side 2nd row seat, pushed over to the middle. That d/n work for me -- DD#2 is RFg 2nd row driver's side b/c of how I park in our garage (I can't access the passenger side doors).

So, we RF TT'd to the seat the MA is installed in. Not OK according to the new Britax manuals, but I frankly don't give a damn. RFg TT isn't mandatory and we did the best we could. THe only other option was to skip the TT completely. We are only using the TT to help with the recline anyway....