PDA

View Full Version : Potty training & wall to wall carpet: what do you do?

Emmas Mom
04-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm so ready to just put DD#2 in training pants & PT that way. Only I'm afraid too. DD#1 was much easier & we really only had a couple accidents. With her we could use pull ups & pretty quickly she understood they were for "big girls" so she told us when she needed to potty. Not so with DD#2. She uses pull ups just the same as a diaper. So we pretty much have wall to wall carpeting now too. I just don't want her peeing all over it. So, for those of you in similar situations what did you do? Are there any good products out there for cleaning pee out of carpets? Any suggestions?

cono0507
04-30-2008, 01:33 AM
I was very worried about that when DS just potty trained. Our first floor is hardwood in many places but we spend most of our time in the carpeted family room. I put him in big boy underwear and he took to potty training well. We had a total of 3 accidents in the family room in the course of potty training. I bought a Bissel carpet steamer and cleaned up that way which worked well. Turns out it was handy to get the steamer anyhow because with a newly mobile daughter, I wanted to keep the carpets as clean as possible.

cbscherer
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
We use nylon covers over the panties when I cannot be as attentive to her (or when I know she should go, but she is not). You can buy vinyl at walmart, but I like the nylon ones much better. Think I got mine from best buy baby online.

Also bought a Spot Bot! Love, Love, Love that thing. I cleans any accidents right up.

toby
05-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Nature's Miracle is the best for completely removing urine (human or not!). You can find it in a pet store.

Also, FWIW, I recently learned that when you wash a clothing item with pee, it is not enough to just use detergent. You need to use an enzme remover (Shout, OxyClean, Zout etc)...either as a spray or as a powder in addition to the detergent.

JBaxter
05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Ive potty trained 3 boys and always had carpet. We had a few accidents but like the pp said Natures Miricle is great stuff. Ive been using charlies soap for a couple years and when ever Nathan had an accident everything came out of the laundry clean. With accidents I did bump the washer from cold to warm.