PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Question - WWYD?

ctbarts
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I need some help from all of you educated and dedicated car seat safety experts, I am in the process of replacing some of our seats and want to make the best, most educated decision.

DS is 7yrs, appox. 62#'s and 52 inches. Currently he rides in a Britax Parkway in the 3rd row of our 06 Oddssey. He is complaining that the Parkway he is currently in is "uncomfortable" the seatbelt is forever twisting and sometimes getting slack. I am thinking these are signs he is getting too big for his parkway. He is definately a big 7 year old, so I want to find a seat that is roomy where he still has room to grow.

I am deciding between the Compass b510 and the new Sunshine kids Monterey. Because the latch is only in the center position in the 3rd row of our Oddy, the spacing of the latch connectors and the location of the seatbelt make it so I really do not think I can put a latched booster in that seat. Likely whatever booster we get will be in one of the outboard seats with no latch. That being said, should I still consider the montery even though I will not be taking advantage of its great latching ability?

The other sticky point is sometimes I need to get 3 boosters across the 3rd row (2 of which would be parkways), any chance anyone thinks the monterey or compass b510 would work in a 3 across scenario?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!!

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd use the Monterey without LATCH, I think it's a fantastic booster :). But three across? Um...probably not...? It seems pretty wide :( The Clek is pretty easy to buckle next to other seats...I know it's expensive for a backless (and using LATCH with it is optional), but it's the narrowest choice available now that the Starriser Comfy and Parkway and Evenflo Right Fit are all discontinued....

ctbarts
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Thank you for your advice!!

I just ordered my Monterey from Walmart for $129.99 and only $2.97 for shipping! Seemed like a good plan and if it does not work out, we can always return to the store and not worry about return shipping costs. Now on to find the best deal for a Garco Nautilus for DS#2 :)!

o_mom
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Double check, but I think you can use the top tether even if you aren't using the lower anchors. That will at least keep the seat from being a major projectile when empty.

August Mom
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you for your advice!!

I just ordered my Monterey from Walmart for $129.99 and only $2.97 for shipping! Seemed like a good plan and if it does not work out, we can always return to the store and not worry about return shipping costs. Now on to find the best deal for a Garco Nautilus for DS#2 :)!

Not positive if it's still going on, but the Nautilus was on sale at target.com with free shipping and then there was another coupon in the bargains section for 10% off (or you can go through aaa.com for 10% off).