PDA

View Full Version : Educating parents on HBB vs LBB please

mom2binsd
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Can someone give me a few basic points to pass along to a few of our friends who currently have their 4 & 5 year olds in low back boosters....I think they really believe they are perfectly safe and a good seat based on the weight limits posted on the box...one friend did not know that a high back booster was much different...I'd love to be able to give them a quick little infomercial about the merits of a HBB....I won't even attempt to convince them to harness...

TIA

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

"The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone."

Youtube has heaps of crash tests, but I don't have any comparison ones saved... Yes I do..these are UK seats, but the shapes are the same and the dummy is the same, and the head is the same hamburger in a no-back... http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/cars/reports/safety_and_security/Child%20car%20seats/Child%20seats/Child_seats_esential_guide_574_74191_9.jsp

mom2binsd
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks Julie,

Now, as I'm not in the booster buying mode which are the best HBB to buy??

I know Britax Parkway - discontinued but can be found on sale right?

Compass B110?

Any others???

Which to avoid???

Joolsplus2
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I'd say the ones to avoid are the Cosco/Eddie Bauer ones because they have virtually no side impact protection and they all require high headrests behind them.

Sunshine Kids Monterey
Britax Monarch
Recaro (any of them).
Jane' Indy/Indy Plus
Maxi Cosi Rodi (though it has the 'headrest' rule)
Compass Premier or Deluxe (new names for B510)

Avoid Evenflos (not good side impact)

Graco Turbo is easy to find and ok, but not on my top list of excellent seats (not designed especially for side impacts, plus kids tend to route the belt wrong over the armrests...but it's a lot better than an Evenflo or Cosco!)

mom2binsd
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks again Julie...wish the rest of the world responded as quickly and accurately as you do..took 3 phone calls to my bank to figure out why I couldn't log on...and comcast is still screwing up our phone...

Joolsplus2
05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
:ROTFLMAO:

That's because they are doing it for the money...I do it for the love alone :love2: :love5: :loveeyes: :love-retry: