PDA

View Full Version : the smell...

ha98ed14
04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Is there any magic something that you can put in the diaper pail to control the odor? Something that actually works, not just says it works. As it is, we change it every other day, but it still stinks. Changing it sooner and the bag is not full and I feel guilty throwing out a half-full plastic garbage bag.

JBaxter
04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Do you dump the poop in the toilet before putting the diapers in the pail?

Emmas Mom
04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Do you dump the poop in the toilet before putting the diapers in the pail?

That seriously helps a TON! We didn't do it until DD#2 and the difference is night & day. No diaper pail will ever completely contain odor but this is a great tip.

tylersmama
04-30-2008, 10:47 PM
:yeahthat:

We cd, so I always dump the poop. I only do diaper laundry about once a week and rarely, if ever, get any stink. I also put a little tea tree oil in my pail liner, and that helps keep things smelling sweet. Not sure how you could do that with a disposable pail liner though...my washable pail liner has a hemp patch sewn in the seam that's specifically for those purposes.

codex57
05-08-2008, 07:32 AM
What diaper pail do you use? We use the Diaper Champ and never have a smell problem (cept when we open it up to change it).

Wife_and_mommy
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Could you use a smaller bag?

TinkerPlink
05-14-2008, 11:55 PM
:yeahthat:

We cd, so I always dump the poop. I only do diaper laundry about once a week and rarely, if ever, get any stink. I also put a little tea tree oil in my pail liner, and that helps keep things smelling sweet. Not sure how you could do that with a disposable pail liner though...my washable pail liner has a hemp patch sewn in the seam that's specifically for those purposes.

What type of liner do you use? I am expecting my first in August, and want to CD. I have had a hard time finding a pail and liner that I think will work well. Yours is something new to me, so I'd like to check it out!

tylersmama
05-15-2008, 01:51 AM
I use the WAHMIES pail liner inside a plain plastic flip top pail. Here (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=106)is the pail I use and these (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=207)are the liners. They've both worked really well for me. The pail is actually identical to the one provided by the diaper service that we used for the first 6 months. It also has a slot to put a deo-disk in, but I've found that the tea tree oil on the pail liner works just as well, if not better.

tarahsolazy
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
What type of liner do you use? I am expecting my first in August, and want to CD. I have had a hard time finding a pail and liner that I think will work well. Yours is something new to me, so I'd like to check it out!

I CD'd my son for 3 years and now DD for 13 mo so far. We use a plain Sterlite trashcan from Target with a flip top lid, lined with either a fancy pail liner like tylersmama uses, or a simple extralarge Bummi's nylon bag. It doesn't stink up the house at all. If you stick your nose right in there, sure, it smells like pee a bit, but I'd expect that. We have always dumped poop in the toilet once the kids were on solids, even if they had a sposie dipe on. Poop goes in the waste treatment system, not the landfill.

TinkerPlink
05-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you for your input. I am starting to feel the pressure of making so many decisions with the upcoming birth, and feel a bit (a lot) overwhelmed. Buying the Baby Bargains book and joining this website is SO helpful!!

trales
05-16-2008, 06:35 PM
We don't put poopy diapers in the pail, they go straight outside to the trash when we use disposables.

With cloth, I have the exact same system as Tylersmama and it works great.