PDA

View Full Version : Do you love your Volvo station wagon?

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I just love the looks of Volvo station wagons. You may think I'm crazy, but I think some of the newer ones are quite lovely, classy looking cars. So, of course, I would love to make my next car a Volvo station wagon.

My problem is that I find it difficult to buy anything but a Honda or a Toyota, because it's been drilled into my head that those are about the only truly reliable cars. My understanding of Volvos is that they are very expensive to repair compared to Hondas and Toyotas, break down more often, and are generally just not as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. My head tells me I have to buy a used Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna, but my heart says Volvo station wagon.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? TIA

Susan

JBaxter
05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I have the Volvo XC90 and it will be paid off next month. So in 5yrs ( knock on wood) I have had only routine maintence. They may be more expensive to repair but I havent had to repair anything yet. We will probably be trading it in on a mini van this fall due to the new baby. Its not practical for us to put either of the bigger boys in the 3rd row with 2 car seats in the 2nd row. I would keep the thing forever if we all fit!

Puddy73
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I do! I've had my 2001 V70 T5 for more than 6 years and it has been a great car. I love the way it handles and it has decent gas mileage and plenty of room for two kids. We have not had any major repairs yet, although now that it has 130,000 miles on it we have had some expensive maintenance (timing belt, engine seals, brake rotors, etc.). Make sure that you find a good independent repair shop that works on Volvos - the dealership repair prices are crazy.

I may be a bit biased towards Volvos because I absolutely loved my 240 and still miss it!

lovin2shop
05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree, similar to PP, I have a 2002 V70 T5 and love it. I have 125,000 miles on it and have only had regular maintenance and no breakdowns (knocking on wood). The maintenance can be more expensive than other cars, but it keeps them running well. The gas mileage is not great because they are big and heavy, but that is also what makes them safe. I'm a loyal Volvo customer, this is my second and my husband drives an XC90. I'm considering the smaller SUV that debuts next year for my next car, but I like to drive cars to their death, so that may be awhile.

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
That's very interesting that perhaps you spend quite a bit to maintain them, but that they don't nickle and dime you to death. It sounds like they would be just a bit more expensive to maintain/repair than a Honda/Toyota, and that would be ok. I like the suggestion about finding a private mechanic who works on Volvos.

We have two kids and at my age a third isn't likely, so it sounds like it would be ok with just two kids.

I just have a real thing for them, so I should just get it out of my system and give one a try.

Susan

hellokitty
05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I have always liked volvo wagons until I saw the newly redesigned ones... I think it's now kind of ugly looking from the back! I like the older, boxer style better and had thought I wanted one as my next car after my honda odyssey finished (I plan to drive it until it can't run!). Now, a recently redesigned wagon that I DO like is the subaru forester. I think it looks a lot nicer than the older design. We've always been fans of subaru, and I think that I will eventually go back to another subaru when the kids are out of the carseat phase.

clc053103
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Volvo's appear to be hit or miss. I know many people that love their volvo's, and many that seem to have gotten a "lemon". I was one of them, with an S60. My aunt had a lemon of a XC wagon. And a neighbor with her XC90 had the same issues. That being said, keep in mind that Volvo is now a Ford product. If you wouldn't buy a ford product, I wouldn't buy a Volvo.

that being said...I agree there is something SERIOUSLY cute about a Volvo station wagon! It was what I always wanted- UNTIL we had an S60.

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I have always liked volvo wagons until I saw the newly redesigned ones... I think it's now kind of ugly looking from the back! I like the older, boxer style better and had thought I wanted one as my next car after my honda odyssey finished (I plan to drive it until it can't run!). Now, a recently redesigned wagon that I DO like is the subaru forester. I think it looks a lot nicer than the older design. We've always been fans of subaru, and I think that I will eventually go back to another subaru when the kids are out of the carseat phase.

I know what you mean about the newer Volvo wagons. The ones I'm sure that I love are about 5 years old, I think.

I'm glad that you mentioned the Subaru Forester because I saw the new Subaru Forester commercial and I was definitely attracted to it. LOL. The older Foresters have a slightly sportier look than the 5 year old Volvo station wagon style that I love, but I'm afraid that the Forester may be more reliable, so I'm going to check out that new one! My impression from the commercial is that the new one may be a little less sporty-looking. Not that there's anything wrong with sporty, I just like that kinda classy Volvo.

Susan

Bea_Arthur
05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm totally there with the Volvo wagon v. Subaru debate... although this is all hypothetical right now... I currently have a Toyota Matrix. The DH seems to think that Matrixes (Matrices?) don't appear very safe for driving with a little baby... as a car in general, it has been one of the best, most hassle-free, and reliable vehicles I've ever had. He uses a Land Rover that I'll probably commandeer once the baby comes, but I've always driven cars, so if I were to get a vehicle in lieu of the Matrix, a Subaru Forester (or even Outback) and Volvo wagon would be my two choices.

And I too have heard that Volvos can be hit or miss; I've never heard a Subaru driver say anything but excellent things about their vehicles... plus, you can typically get really, really high mileage out of Subarus before they run into the ground (if regular maintenance is kept, I'm sure...)

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
And I too have heard that Volvos can be hit or miss; I've never heard a Subaru driver say anything but excellent things about their vehicles... plus, you can typically get really, really high mileage out of Subarus before they run into the ground (if regular maintenance is kept, I'm sure...)

It IS sounding like it's a pattern with Volvos that you're either gonna get one that doesn't cause you any grief, or you're going to get the opposite, and I don't expect that with a Honda, Toyota or a Subaru. When I was in graduate school in Vermont, I had a very used Subaru wagon that I drove and drove and drove and it never caused me any problems. That's pretty great considering that I didn't have the money to give it any regular maintenance other than an oil change!

Susan

elizabethkott
05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I. Love. My. Volvo.
There, I've said it. I love my car. Love, love, love it. I have an XC70, and I love the thing.
For those of you who had issues, was your issue-car bought around the first model year after Ford took Volvo over? My SIL had one that was truly a lemon from that particular year (I don't remember what year it was). We have never yet had an issue with the car.
Have I mentioned that I love it?
We also looked at the old Forrester and the cabin felt strange to both DH and I. And the Outback felt very cramped. But that may have been our bad for looking at a car back when I was pregnant... it may feel much roomier in my state now! LOL!
But yeah. I love my volvo.
:D
The only thing that would make me love it more would be if they started making an XC70 hybrid. OMG. I'd probably pee myself.

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I. Love. My. Volvo.
There, I've said it. I love my car. Love, love, love it. I have an XC70, and I love the thing.
For those of you who had issues, was your issue-car bought around the first model year after Ford took Volvo over? My SIL had one that was truly a lemon from that particular year (I don't remember what year it was). We have never yet had an issue with the car.
Have I mentioned that I love it?
We also looked at the old Forrester and the cabin felt strange to both DH and I. And the Outback felt very cramped. But that may have been our bad for looking at a car back when I was pregnant... it may feel much roomier in my state now! LOL!
But yeah. I love my volvo.
:D
The only thing that would make me love it more would be if they started making an XC70 hybrid. OMG. I'd probably pee myself.

OMG, you're so funny! I can't believe your emoticon with the wine glass. That's the cutest thing.

Ok, I'll admit it. I. still. want. a. Volvo. XC70.

Susan

ETA: Would you mind telling me approximately how much you have to spend on it a year for the scheduled maintenance that Volvos need? I guess that all cars need scheduled maintenance, but it seems like Volvos cost more or something. Thanks!

elizabethkott
05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, they don't cost more if you ignore the "Time For Scheduled Maintenence!" warning like I do! LOL! Yeah, I have no idea. I have an appointment for it's second tune-up on Wednesday. I'll let you know what the damage is. :)

1964pandora
05-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok, well glad to know that you've had no problems even though you don't follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. I read that it costs $80 for an oil change. Ouch.

Susan

karstmama
05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
i had a forester, sold it two weeks ago. it was great before the kidlet & would likely be great again after the car-seat-and-oxygen stage (when someone has to sit in back in case he shoves it up off his nose or starts chewing it), but the back seat is criminally small for adult butt-to-knee length. of course, made much much worse by how far back i like to sit from the steering wheel. so for someone in the forward facing or booster stage who doesn't need to seat adults in the back, great vehicle!

miss it, though... :(

spencersmommy
05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Just my input...my DH's cousins had the volvo wagon...I thought it looked very nice and they loved it! However, after baby #3 came along, they traded it in for a minivan and couldn't be happier! Just a thought.
I really wanted a passat wagon, but then I got my minivan instead and love it! so much space, fits more people, the sliding doors are the best for loading kiddos, easy to maneuver inside if I have to help with seatbelts in the last row.
I was the one who always said no minivans, but I LOVE mine!!

wellyes
05-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd buy a Volvo, except that I find them too expensive. But in terms of reliability....... I think the days of only Toyota/Honda being worthwhile are over. The American car makers learned that lesson, and most American cars are just as reliable these days believe it or not. The brands to watch out for are the European ones (Volkswagon and Jaguar are notorious). But Volvos are fine.

i had a forester, sold it two weeks ago. it was great before the kidlet & would likely be great again after the car-seat-and-oxygen stage (when someone has to sit in back in case he shoves it up off his nose or starts chewing it), but the back seat is criminally small for adult butt-to-knee length.

Tell me about it. I, too, loved my Forrester before the baby. Now with the car seat in the back I realize that the cabin of a Forrester is based on the little Impreza. Great vehicle, terrible back seat.

To the PP whose husband said the Matrix is unsafe: I suppose *all* cars seem unsafe from the driver's seat of a Land Rover, but from what I've read and seen in the industry the Matrix is a perfectly safe car.