PDA

View Full Version : Did someone say Excel shopping list?

Minijim
05-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Help, I've only just discovered this site in my search for an Excel shopping list. I'm trying to form a food co-op (a very small one) and it would be the perfect tool!
But I don't know whether there is a time limit and this looks like a really old conversation.... so I guess I'll just go and play in the garden and hope for a reply from some kind soul....

Edited by mod:
To avoid confusion, I have locked the old thread so that current discussion can continue here. The user who had the Excel spreadsheet in 2004 is no longer registered, but perhaps one of those she sent it to is still around...
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=270055

katerinasmom
05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Here is a link to a free Excel grocery price book complete with drop down lists, a filled in sample and some instructions. Scroll down the page a little and you will find the link to a zip file. I opened it at work (probably shouldn't have but here we have techs who can fix things if I screw them up unlike at home where I have to shell out $250 for the Geek Squad to come over) and the file appears to be virus free. Nevertheless, it is not my website and therefore I cannot vouch for its safety anymore than to relay my own experience thus far.

http://www.uncommonwaytowealth.com/excel-finance-spreadsheets/grocery-savings-spreadsheet-price-book/

lil_acorn
05-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Is the intent to just go to the store with the overall lowest cost? With the price of gas nowadays, it doesn't make sense to shop around at multiple stores unless it happens to be on your way.

missym
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Just a quick bump of this new version of the thread

brittone2
05-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Is the intent to just go to the store with the overall lowest cost? With the price of gas nowadays, it doesn't make sense to shop around at multiple stores unless it happens to be on your way.

I think it depends on individual circumstances. We mostly shop at our local co-op grocery, but Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are essentially on my way there. There are certain things that are far cheaper at one than the others. I actually keep a separate list in my planner of things I can *only* get at WFs (like their house brand organic spaghetti/marinara sauce) so when I go, I buy a bunch (8 jars or so). When I hit Trader Joes, I'll stock up on organic unsweetened almond milk (shelf stable). Even certain dry goods (from bulk bins like dried beans, nuts, oatmeal, etc.) may vary considerably in price from store to store, and could be worth stocking up on at a given store, depending on your situation.

Even if these stores weren't located extremely close together, I would periodically pick one over the others and stock up on the pantry stable items that are a good deal at that particular store. That's one of the advantages of a price book, IMO. I can often stop in at a different grocer than my normal store because it may be convenient to another errand I have to run anyway (non food related).

Our co-op is currently a 30 minute drive, and we don't have any great alternatives closer. However, they are finally set to open a co-op in my little town (same group operating the co-op as the that is 30 mins away), meaning I can finally drive 5 mins for groceries instead of 30. It is scheduled to open at the end of May and will make life much easier :)

doberbrat
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I shop at multiple grocery stores.

My neighborhood grocery store for staples, TJs for the majority of things my wheat and dairy allergic dd needs and Whole Foods for the things I cant get anywhere else.

I only go to WF sporadically and stock up. TJs and my reg store I go weekly or more often. I know it costs $$ in gas, but I don’t really have a choice.

Minijim
05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey, that's great! The hints are useful, however, since I live waaay down here in Australia (heard of us?) most of those shops don't exist here. However, the plan is to utilise my local market, which I would attend once a fortnight anyway. the fruit and vegetable prices are at least half that of the major supermarkets, as is the fish market. It is located in an area that is heavily populated with immigrants, so there are great discount warehouses for continental and Asian foods, for a start. I guess I'm suggesting that I cover the fuel to collect the goods, and the other members collect from me. However, several of the ladies live in the same area, so I am suggesting a car pool, plus their side of town has good bulk warehouses for toilet paper and detergents etc.
It's still in the planning stage, but I don't have enough room in the backyard to grow all my own produce (yet.... but the espalier fruit trees will help)....
It's all very chaotic and disorganised, but I'm going to get there!
Going to go and examine the internet site now, and thanks very much!