PDA

View Full Version : What is an appropriate First Communion gift?

g-mama
05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
We've been invited to two First Communions this month - each is for a boy. I have no idea what to give as a gift. At baptisms, we always give some religious memento. Is the same thing appropriate at at First Communion when the boy is 8 years old? Or do you give a cash gift? Any ideas?

KBecks
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't know the "correct" answer but we just saw a first communion group on Sunday and it was really nice. I'm not personally fond of religious nick nacks, but they are appropriate. I would do a nice religious theme card and maybe cash, a gift certificate or something you think he will enjoy.

JTsMom
05-01-2008, 12:29 PM
When I had mine (150 years ago or so) almost every single person gave me cash, and we had a HUGE party, so it must be pretty standard. I *think* I also go a rosary from my grandmother.

Jen841
05-01-2008, 01:00 PM
For my nephew we are giving him a metal of the St of the parish for his sacrament. This is what DH was given and wears to this day. We got the green light to give this.

$ I know if very common. For my niece we did a charm bracelet with a cross, and have since added to it with other 'events' that come along.

hellokitty
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
My DH gave his godson $200 cash as a first communion gift. Obviously, his godson thought it was a really awesome gift.

belovedgandp
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
We just went to one for my cousin's son. We gave cash - mostly because I was pressed for time and out of ideas.

I know the big gift I received from my parents was my rosary.

He received several books. A cute one was 365 things a Catholic kid needs to know - a new tid bit for each day of the year. Definitely geared to the grade school set. I'm sure a Catholic book store would have some interesting books.

He also received books (no religious angle) and a patron saint medal.

lorinick
05-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Cash Go with Cash! My son just made his on Sunday.

g-mama
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the good ideas.

It seems like cash might be the way to go. While it is a religious occasion, I know my 7yo ds would much prefer cash over anything else and he already has a childrens Bible. Plus, I'm guessing the grandparents/aunts/uncles, etc. will give him those things.