PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Help Needed

hbridge
05-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, the plumber just left after fixing the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom while the ceiling is open in the bath directly below it before we redo the downstairs bath. I don't know much about plumbing and am always nervous where water is concerned since I know a leak in the walls can cause reall big problems. I admit that I didn't ask enough questions before he left since I have to get dinner on the table and get to work tonight that after it took almost two hours to get both baths cleaned and back to normal after he left.

Anyway, I'm used to copper pipes for hot and cold water. This plumber used a flexible "hose" type tube. It's red and blue (depending on the "pipe") which I assume means hot and cold. What is this and will it last as long as copper? I hate to think I just paid $1100 for junk or for someone to have to come back, but I'm a little out of my element here. Is this junk or is it the latest technology? Will it last? This is a new plumber for us (the other was awful) and I chose him since the is the plumber used by our bathroom contractor.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

Thanks so much

ThreeofUs
05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hmmm... I've never seen this. Maybe you could call and ask what material it is, and why he used it (non-confrontationally, just for info).

LBW
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
nak

i think it's called pex - i've seen it used on this old house.

et: fix spelling

KrisM
05-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't really know much either, but is it this? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/PEX.html. Sounds interesting and is likely cheaper than copper.

trales
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
It's good stuff, much cheaper than copper. We were thinking of fixing a lot of plumbing and using it for toliets, baths, showers, utility sinks and leaving the copper for drinking pipes only. It will save a lot of money.

hbridge
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I spoke with the plumber, he said it's Flex Tubing and that it "will outlive all of us". He used it in the bath sink and shower for the water pipes. I thought DH would have a lot of questions and wonder about it. He got home about 6:30 this evening and said that it was cool. About 9:30 he walked in having noticed that it was color coded and now he thinks it's awesome...Um, yeah.

trales, why aren't you using it for drinking pipes? Should I be concerned about the bathroom sinks?

Thank you all for your responses.