PDA

View Full Version : Frontier and Regent owners...which way to go???

Kearstenn
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi All!

OK...I have a 4.5 year old who weighs 38 lbs and is about 43" tall. I also have a 1.5 year old who weighs about 30 lbs (not too sure of his hieight), My oldest is in a Safety First Booster/Harness seat and he is constantly complaining that his butt hurts. I was all set to get the Regent for both boys, but now I'm struggling with whether or not the Frontier would be better for us. I'm comfortable with the safety aspects of both (well, side protection is much better on Frontier), but I need to answer two other questions to make up my decision:

Is the Frontier as comfortable as the Regent on long trips?

And my oldest is always in the top percentage for height, is the Frontier not a good option for tall thin preschoolers?

Thanks so much for your time!!!
Kim

801kelle
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
WE just got our Frontiers and we have had Regents for almost two years for our daughter who is turning 5 on May 5. She is now 40 lbs and 42 inches tall. I really do and did love the Regent...

But the reason I bought Frontiers is because they are a little smaller than Regent. BUT have the same capacity and more than the Regent. Also there isn't a recline bar like there is on Regent so it makes it more versatile for more vehicle seats.

I love that the Frontier converts to a high back booster. Also, that you can keep child harnessed to 80lbs and then in booster mode to 100 lbs. BUT MY FAVORITE THING is that you can leave it latched in to the vehicle seat even when it is in Booster mode.. so you don't have a high back booster that can fly off the seat when the child isn't in it.. or what I hate most about other boosters is that even when the child is buckled in.. they aren't stable and move around!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I would say if you are trying to choose between the 2.. go for the Frontier.. because then you have a booster seat after your child outgrows harness and it will be the last carseat you will ever have to buy!!!!!!!!!!

Question on Comfort.. I think it actually has more and better padding than Regent..

Question on height.. Frontier accomodates max weight of 100 lbs and max height of 60in.. Regent only goes to 80 lbs and 53 inches tall!! Let me clarify Frontier goes to 80 lbs and 53 inches harnessed and then you can use in booster mode to 100 lbs or 60 inches.

GOOD LUCK

Kindra178
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Can the FRontier be rearfacing?

801kelle
05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
NO Frontier and Regent are only Forward Facing seats!

TaChapm
05-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Question on height.. Frontier accomodates max weight of 100 lbs and max height of 60in.. Regent only goes to 80 lbs and 53 inches tall!!

You should probably mention that your MAX Frontier specs are for the Booster mode. It is a little misleading for someone who is new to this or not familiar with these seats. Technically the Regent will accomidate a child HARNESSED much longer than the Frontier which is very important to me. It is awesome that is will go to a booster but as a harnessed seat I would have to recommend the Regent because the harness slots are higher and you will be able to keep a child harnessed much longer which is safer! :)

801kelle
05-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry about that.. I edited my post on comparing Regent and Frontier..
But I think the Frontier harness slots are just as high as Regent possibly.. because when you adjust the headrest that is how you move up the harness straps.. actually it is really awesome.. you don't have to rethread the slots to move them up or down.. you adjust by moving headrest... so I would think that is true considering Britax gives the same max limits of the harness use as the Regent.. 80 lbs and or 53 inches tall?

pastrygirl
05-04-2008, 10:20 AM
What seat is your 1.5-year-old currently in? I would try to keep him RF if you can, even if it's just for another 3 pounds -- it can take months to gain those last 3! :)

Kearstenn
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Right now my 1.5 yr old is in a Marathon FF. I plan on turning him around after hanging around here this past weekend!

mom2binsd
05-05-2008, 04:28 PM
We have that effect on people LOL...(many have turned their kiddo's back RF after a few visits here and then there are the posts from those of us who were so sad to turn their kiddo's forward.