PDA

View Full Version : Thrush - help w/ treatment

Nooknookmom
05-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I think DD has thrush. She will be 1 on Tuesday.

I did a search & it sounds like it. Patches of white dots inside her cheeks & corner of mouth. She has been shoving her fingers down her mouth for a couple days & I didn't think anything of it until I looked in her mouth last night.

That would also explain why my boobs have had pain shooting though them. Also it has been driving me nuts when DD wants to just lay there & suckle, the sensation is like nails on a chalkboard.

If I remember from Dd1 we need to go get antibiotics??

She also gets a bottle or two of juice/rice milk daily. Do I have to boil everything after treatment? What about her blankies?

Could I have given it to her by using her toothbrush that fell on the floor (I picked it up right away & peroxided it really good)?

Boy this is out of left field - I didn't know babies this old got it!

jent
05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep, sounds like thrush. (But of course check with your dr to be sure). It's actually antifungals, not antibiotics (thrush is caused by a yeast, not a bacteria) & you might need to be treated too. And you need to sterilize everything that goes into her mouth.

Don't drive yourself crazy over what caused it-- when you think of it, she's probably put a lot worse into her mouth when your back is turned.

Nooknookmom
05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Thank you-Dr. prescribed something for her & for me. It's sticky & gross though, ick!

Hope it goes away soon but Dr. said it can hang around for a while!

Tondi G
05-04-2008, 05:41 PM
boil all nipples and pacifiers with a cup of white vinegar.

wash all your bras with hot water

If the nystatin doesn't work then ask your pharmacist for Gentian Violet. It'll turn her mouth and your boobs purple but it works! I would also start both you and DD on probiotics... acidolpholus!

Good Luck... hope it clears up quick for you!

o_mom
05-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Are you only doing the topical Nystatin on you? I would really ask them to give you Diflucan for you - 2 weeks worth, not the one pill for a vaginal yeast infection. If you have it in your ducts, as evidenced by the shooting pains, topical medicine isn't going to do anything for it.

We have battled thrush so many times it is almost second nature here. This is what we do:

Sterilize all cups, bottles, nipples, pacis, toothbrushes daily

Throw out any pacifiers and toothbrushes when you start treatment and then again when you end it

Wash your bras in hot, hot water and put vinegar in the rinse

Use towels only once and wash as hot as possible, again with vinegar

Acidophilous for everyone - get capsules and then you can sprinkle it on applesauce, yogurt, or whatever you think she will eat.

For the Nystatin - each time you give it, put the entire dose in a medicine cup and use a q-tip to swab it all around her mouth, cheeks, gums and tongue, scrubing it on there. Any left at the end have her drink or use a separate dropper to put it in her mouth. If you aren't seeing improvement in 2-3 days on the Nystatin, ask for Diflucan or Gentian Violet for her. 50-60% of yeast is resistant to Nystatin, so there is a good chance it won't work.

tylersmama
05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Just wanted to third the recommendation for Gentian Violet. Messy, but effective! I treated thrush twice with just GV (didn't want to mess around with going to the doctor).

Nooknookmom
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Hello,

They didn't give me Diflucan. Told me to rub DD's Nystatin on my nipples. I smell like cherry/mint, ick.

I will call my OB tomorrow though. I'm sure you guys are right, I need something stronger for myself.

I will dutifully wash everything. Ugh. I never thought we'd get this NOW.

O-mom: I'm printing out your suggestions & putting it on the fridge!!
Waaah.

Thank you all so much! Gotta go, may be burning dinner ;)

tylersmama
05-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Ugh. I never thought we'd get this NOW.

Trina...I thought the same thing. We made it to 14 months before we got hit by thrush. Then got it again around 18 months. Who knew!?

Nooknookmom
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Gaye-Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of thrush - at 1 yr. Boy did I learn a thing or 2! I hope it goes bye bye - I have enough to do w/ out all the sterilizing added in now...:(