PDA

View Full Version : Snugride Tight Outboard in a Saturn?

Kendra
05-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Baby #2 is due in 3 weeks so we turned DD's (2-1/2 yo) Roundabout FF and moved to the driver's side from center, which was easy, and it's solid as a rock. Then came the Snugride, which fit fine center w/ lap only back in the day, but with the shoulder/lap combo with sliding buckle is very, very loose! I'm 200 lbs pregnant and putting all my weight on while DH did the locking clip and we could turn the base SIDEWAYS when we were done. :(

I did read where Julie suggested using the built in locking mech of the shoulder belt rather than the clip but I don't want to have to re-install for tipping. Any way to get this Snugride tighter with the clip? Carseatdata.org had one person with a 2000 Saturn SL2 (ours is an 02) with a "great fit" on the pass side so wondering how they did it? Maybe a noodle? Mighty tite?Any ideas welcome!

TIA,
Kendra

lorinick
05-04-2008, 06:26 AM
You don't have the latch in the center. I have a 2003 Saturn Vue and it has the latch in all three seat lacations. I've used the Graco snug ride and the Britax BLVD in the center and both sides. It word great rock solid placement. I do use a rolled towel for the rear facing Britax. I would try the locking clip they work well I've used before in our Honda before latch was out. If you don;t have the latch system I will try to install with the locing clip in my car and see how it works and that you know.

o_mom
05-04-2008, 07:26 AM
A locking clip takes some practice to get in, but once you get the system down it isn't bad. Check out the video here - second or third one down is locking clip: http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.htm#rear-facing%20videos

Kendra
05-04-2008, 05:56 PM
The 2002 doesn't have LATCH - we used the lap belt for center placement of the Snugride before.

Thank you so much for the video link - it helped tremendously to know to rotate the base away and back for leverage. It still wasn't tight enough tho, so we ended up doing it as tight as we could without the noodle, and then keeping the locking clip just where it was, put the noodle under and both heave-ho'ed and got it buckled and now it's a great fit (and perfect angle).

We couldn't get it as tight or as good an angle with the 2nd base in our Subaru Forester (outboard w/ LATCH), but that's our 2nd car for DH's commute, so we don't use it for kid travel much.

Thanks again!