PDA

View Full Version : Curious Question

TraciG
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
My SIL had her first baby a few days ago, when she breast feeds she only does one breast at a feeding, is that ok to do , and it seems he eat's in a very short amount of time .

Neatfreak
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
It's okay, and offering both breasts is okay as well.

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Yep, whatever works for you. Since you set the tone of things from the supply side this works, imo. I only offered one side from the very beginning with ds2. With #1 I switched sides after he finished the first but I never noticed that it made any difference with how long he went between feedings. He also spit up a bunch (of course, ds2 spits up a bunch too- happy spitters :)). I decided to just make it easier on myself this time and go one breast per session. I do play it by ear with him and have offered 2 sides from time to time.

Beth

bubbaray
05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Whatever works. BUT, what I did in the early stages with both DDs was nurse on one side for 10 minutes, switch sides for 10 minutes or less. Next feeding, start on the 2nd side and continue. Seemed to work well for me/them.

egoldber
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
The current advice given by most LCs and LLL is "finish the first side first". That is let the baby go as long as they will on the first side, burp, offer the second side and if they take it fine, if not, that's fine too. Older advice said to switch sides after 20 minutes or so, but not all babies are very efficient and may end up with a lot of foremilk and not much hindmilk.

Basically, if her baby is growing and gaining weight, then its fine. But while a newborn *may* be that efficient, I would be a little concerned that she's not providing enough stimulation at the breast to establish a full supply.

o_mom
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
As PPs said, it is fine either way. DS1 almost never took two sides. He was always done with just one side until he weaned at 15 months. DS3, OTOH, is very insistant that he get both sides - I joke with DH that he can already count to two!

TraciG
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I will be VERY surprised if my SIL will have enough of a milk supply, she doesn't let him pacify at all & seem's to finish very quickly, should be interesting. Watch , she's so easy going & does what she want's, I bet she'll breast feed with no problems & for a long time !

lisams
05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Yep, I was/am a one sided nurser (nursing on one side at a time each session). It's actually recommended if you have an oversupply.