PDA

View Full Version : Where would you tell a FTM to register for a baby shower?

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Most of my favorite products nowadays (thanks in large part to these boards :)) aren't available at places like Babies R Us. I wouldn't know where to recommend to a friend about to have her first baby though so she could get more choices than just Snuglis and Bjorns, for example. I have a friend TTC so this has been on my mind. Any ideas or recommendations? Just suggest BRU (or somewhere else) for some basics but let them know about other products? I'm sure they could do most everything online but I can't think of a good B&M.

Beth

LD92599
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
But they are only on the east coast...but so many more "cool" choices over BRU!

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
But they are only on the east coast...but so many more "cool" choices over BRU!

Yeah, I was thinking of them too. :)

Maybe Right Start?

Beth

MarisaSF
05-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Where are you located?

Some smaller boutiques will do a registry for you if you want a B&M store. I registered locally with a cloth diapering store that also sells organic clothing, natural toys, and baby carriers. I also created a registry through myregistry.com for things from various companies.

lowrioh
05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I decided to register on Amazon since they had virturally everything I wanted. Most of things I chose had free shipping. My friends registered there and they were very happy with it.

deannanb
05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
I would suggest a local bm like BRU so that she can have the basics on a register for showers - but let her know about the other cool products out there - and maybe register for some of them for friends and relatives who are out of town.

shaee
05-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I had my registry with Amazon. I agree, it has 90% of the things i want and almost all products have free shipping on orders over $25.

lorinick
05-04-2008, 05:50 AM
I would still do BRU for some stuff They have the basics. Plus they are carrying more organic items. It's less expensive than BUY BUY BABY for the same items and has more locations. And many older people would never do online ordering. You may want to think about that. Many older people are not into the computer and may not even have one. So all onlline keeps some peoople out.

karstmama
05-04-2008, 11:07 AM
i agree with the pp. i live in the sticks & had a tough time. the closest bru at the time was 2 1/2 hours, closest target (which i wouldn't recommend, just using as illustration! ;) ) 1 hour, so i cross registered bru & walmart (which is 20 min).

ultimately, very few people used the registry. older people from rural areas aren't much for online shopping.

so if there's a big box local to most of her family, i'd say register there for basics & whatever on her 'cool' list they carry, and have a paper list to circulate to closer buds. i've never heard of the myregistry, but that sounds great for that if her buds are online shoppers.

ThreeofUs
05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Gotta admit, I'd do Albee Baby and amazon - absolutely cannot stand BRU - but as PP's said, depends on where the person lives and what their audience demographic is.

MontrealMum
05-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I did BRU and Target on my bff's recommendation for my US shower. Not living there I wasn't sure, and hadn't heard of all the Target registry problems at the time. Anyways, noone could figure out the Target registry, and many of the people attending the shower were non-computer literate, or did not like to buy online. My 2nd shower was here at home and a surprise so I was not registered anywhere. At both, most people just did their own thing and I got some really nice stuff. This isn't quite what you were looking for in terms of advice, but since most of my friends already have children of their own, they were pretty good at getting quality, useful things. And then we got a lot of things in the mail after DS was born. I'm trying to think, but there are not many things I would return if I could, or that are duplicates. Although I think I just got super lucky with that :) If I had a choice I might register for gift cards only - you can chose that option - at BRU, and then at a nicer local boutique or online store for the rest. Not a huge fan of the big box store, but it's a good option for some.

kijip
05-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Educate me. What the heck is an FTM (besides a Female to Male Transexual? ) I just don't know.

karstmama
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
hee hee! first time mama.

lowrioh
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree with the PP about older folks and online registry. Although I live in DC, most of my family lives in NE PA in the boonies. Nearest BRU is an hour away and I REFUSE to shop at Walmart. I was going to breakdown and register at Target since it is only 30 min from them but I hated giving my business to a company with such a draconian return policy. I decided to go all online and figured that the older folks could just get something else, give money or get one of the younger relatives to order for them.

GeekLady
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I've had nothing but pain with my Amazon registry. Product availability, vendor, and price change on an hourly basis, and it persists in listing some items as 'discontinued by the manufacturer' when they aren't. It's driving me nutty.

KBecks
05-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I think any store is fine. I registered at Target and a local baby store for Alek.

For the things that were unusual that BRU or Target wouldn't carry, I'd want to buy those myself anyway. Especially something like a carrier I would want to pick the color, etc. etc. But all the basics, like blankets, high chair, etc. etc. etc..... you can get just about anywhere. Target is most convenient for me, I think she should go with something that's easy for her to access.

Ceepa
05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
We registered at BRU though I like the idea of adding Amazon.