PDA

View Full Version : Newborn faves for cloth?

caheinz
05-03-2008, 11:58 PM
OK, I'm just starting to *think* about stuff for the twins on the way.... We CD'd DS until it he was down to about 1 dipe a weekday at home, at which point it didn't make much sense anymore. But -- he was exclusively CD'd from the last of the meconium until he was 4ish months old (when he moved to a daycare that refused to use cloth), and then we continued using cloth at home until he was probably 1.5 to nearly 2 years old.

We did mainly prefolds with a few Kissaluvs. Options have changed a lot in the past 4 years, though -- what are the current faves for wee little ones?

And has anyone here CD'd with twins?

JBaxter
05-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Mutt newborns are really nice. They are a little hard to find but not impossible. She will do a custom order if you give her a month or two.
http://muttaqinbaby.com/diapers.html

Righteous baby has nicely made ones also
http://www.righteousbaby.com/store/

Kindheartedwomen also have nice newborn ( as well as other sizes)

All 3 of those are much more absorbant that the kissaluvs

My current nb stash ( that Im working on) has a mix of lots of types
Preemie prefolds
xs pockets
and nb size fitteds

MommyAllison
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
nak

I'm CDing a newborn right now (4 days old) and here is what I'm liking for him:

Kindhearted Women small fitteds (these fit perfectly)
Righteous Baby FLAM fitteds
Fluffymail Little Caboose sz 0 fitteds
Bizzy B Hive newborn fitteds
Wool longies (knit and crochet)
Proraps nb covers (like these better than BSWW for now 'cause of the cord cutout - but don't care for the colored ones, just the white)

We have preemie & infant pfs, but haven't tried them yet cause we have more than enough fitteds. HTH and let me know if you need links to any of those stores.

american_mama
05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm CDing my 3 week old and am a regular reader of Diaperswappers. Here are some recommendations:

Green Mountain Diapers orange-edge prefolds
These are essentially trimmed prefolds, sized so the rise is perfect on a newborn without being folded over at the waist. I like them even though I never liked prefolds before. I think the low cost and adjustability for different sized kids would be very helpful with twins.

Harleyz Dipeez size nb/sm (pocket diaper)
These are working on my newborn and also fit my small DD for a long time, so they are a good value. They are narrow, so buy the inserts she makes for the diaper.

Very Baby AIO
The size small is fitting my DS at about 9 pounds or less, so for a full-term singleton, I would recommend size small over the newborn. But for twins, it's hard to say. I love how easy they are to put on and they are trim, but we have had a few wicking incidents from the legholes.

Nana's Bottoms AIO
The newborn size is very small and the elastic is rather tight and not strethcy, so for me, DS is already outgrowing them at 9ish pounds. But for twins, the small size might be great. They have the same convenience and same wicking problem as the Very Baby AIO.

For fitted diapers, I also have and like a Kindhearted Women diaper, but I have heard that the makers are very hard to communicate with and slow to ship when buying new. I have heard a few people say that they love the diapers but will only buy them used for this reason.

For sherpa diapers like Kissaluvs, I like the newborn Cuddlebuns better. They are a bit narrower in the crotch and thus better fitting and they have two rows of snaps that make it easy to adjust the rise. I also have a Heiny Huggers, but it's quite wide in the crotch, so not my favorite.

For covers, I have a preemie Litewrap that has been too small for DS almost since birth at 7 1/2 pounds, but it would good if you expect your twins to be small. I also have a small Litewrap that seems quite big, although it is fitting DS ok at 9ish pounds. I've heard many people say Thirsties covers are lovely on newborns and fit for a long time, but I don't have one in DS's size yet.

Thirsties Fab Fitteds (make sure they are the velour Fab Fitteds, not the plain old Thirsties fitteds) are also very popular. bumGenius and Swaddlebees also make a variety of fitted and AIO diapers now. I only have experience with a bumGenius bamboo fitted and while it will be outgrown quickly, it's strethcy and a lovely fit on DS now.

I have read many people say the bumGenius is the best one-size diaper on newborns, but they aren't fitting DS yet. They gap at the legs and practically wrap around his waist twice. So I wouldn't buy into one-size diapers for newborn twins, not until they've gained substantial weight.

caheinz
05-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm in the middle of finals week grading, but can't wait to get the grades in and start stalking, um, shopping for little dipes again!