PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Beach condo rentals for early Sept.

Jacksbean
05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to stay? We would like to be on the beach if possible and have at least 2 bedrooms. Our normal summer vacation doesn't start until about labor day unfortunately! It doesn't have to be near all the tourist attractions, just on the beach.

Also, any suggestions on things to do with a 2 year old boy? I've never been there, but we ar looking for someplace to go that will still be less than 6 hours to drive, warm and south of where we live. We used to live in Long Island, so going to an ocean is my husband's requirement. We are finally trying to travel with our son. (Does anyone else get anxious thinking about all the packing and planning? I guess it's a first time mom thing.)

joyful mommy
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Can't help much with the condo question.

As for what to do with a 2 yr old boy, we have two DSs (1 & 3) and have been to that area several times with them. VA Bch area is very family/kid friendly!

-- VA Marine Science Museum! (Our DSs love this place) 2 bldgs not more than a mile apart and connected by a nature trail. You can also easily drive from one to the next. They have boat tours in Owl Creek too. :) There are Toddler Tuesday programs at the smaller site. Google them to check out their website. Our family can easily spend a couple of days there. Definately take your camera. It's completely stroller friendly too. I think they have AAA discount also if that will help you.

-- Children's Museum in Portsmouth (a jaunt across Hampton Rds -- except in rush hour). Our boys both enjoyed various parts of it (different ages will like different things there). If your DS is into ships, cranes, trains (Thomas the Tank Engine kinds of stuff), etc. he'll probably enjoy crossing that part of Hampton Rds over the bridge part where he'll see more of the "working harbor" type stuff. Our older DS loves this. He also really likes the tunnels.

-- Nauticus in Norfolk is nice. I think kids who are closer to elementary school age would enjoy this more though.

-- Beach! We always love the beach :)
I like September there because everything's less crowded than "in season"

Have Fun! We always do. :)

maylips
05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I didn't make the original post, but wanted to say thanks -- we're headed there in June for a long weekend and I appreciate the suggestions!

If you have a good idea for a hotel, would love to hear it, since we can't stay for a whole week for a condo rental. We'd like a suite so my 14-month old DD can nap in the other room without staring at me!

joyful mommy
05-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I wish I could help with the hotel/suite question but am not much help there. We too prefer suites when traveling with our kids.

Comfort Suites has worked well for us other places, but am not sure if there is one on/near the beach there. The Double Tree is fairly nice, near Convention Center, but am not sure if they have suites -- we stayed there before kids. I do recall that they have shuttle service to the beach, if that helps at all. It's more oriented to business travelers.

If you are AAA members, I'd check their book for recommendations too. I always do and generally find them helpful.

egoldber
05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Not a suites hotel, but we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Northside last summer and were very happy with it.