PDA

View Full Version : Do I bite or just let this one go....

mom2binsd
05-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Found on another board....the original topic was when do kids reach 65 pounds and a mostly good discussion of higher weight limit car seats...then this post...(NOT ME OBVIOUSLY)

"Not OT but has anyone read Freakonomics and their take on the whole car seat vs seat belt issue? Basically there is a body of research that shows that there is no "real/measurable" medical advantage over a child after 2 in a carseat vs a seat belt. I don't have kids in car seats but it is still an interesting perspective. It does seem that the whole carseat issue has become I am the better, more caring parent because I bought the "best" carseat and kept jr in it till he was 10 LOL!!"

Do I just let this person post and let it go????

Joolsplus2
05-04-2008, 07:19 PM
It's been disproven. They were completely wrong in this analysis (the research was based on the hundreds of dead kids, but not *millions* of injured kids, they totally ignored injured kids), I can't wait for someone to sue them (except it would be over a dead kid, so I *can* wait...)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16754824?dopt=AbstractPlus

. RESULTS: Compared with seat belts, child restraints, when not seriously misused (eg, unattached restraint, child restraint system harness not used, 2 children restrained with 1 seat belt) were associated with a 28% reduction in risk for death (relative risk, 0.72; 95% confidence interval, 0.54-0.97) in children aged 2 through 6 years after adjusting for seating position, vehicle type, model year, driver and passenger ages, and driver survival status.

tnrnchick74
05-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd say you need to post something ACCURATE...is it going to change THAT person's mind - probably not, but it may convince fence sitters to look at real facts.

1964pandora
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I think you just kinda ignore that post (don't directly address her) and post the accurate info. that was posted above.

Susan

MontrealMum
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure whether or not I'd want to wade into the middle of that, only you can decide based on the tenor of the board, but I certainly wouldn't look to a book that is a social commentary (ie Freakonomics) as any sort of authority on carseat usage. I've read the book, and while entertaining, I certainly wouldn't put much credence in someone's comment (as you posted) referencing it as an authority - on anything. And, of course, you have Julie's post saying that it's been disproven as well. I might hope that other readers/posters would discount the comment as well since the source is so - odd, for lack of a better word? Now, I'm used to reading heavy-hitting academic texts, so maybe that faith is misplaced. But I might also be wary of entering a "discussion" with someone that thinks that that sort of book is a good authority on carseats when, at best, it's a work of about social trends, and sociology.

mom2binsd
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Ok I nibbled....Julie gave me the thumbs up to cut and paste her response....and hopefully I don't get slammed....those folks over on the ebay forums can be a little intense but for the most part very friendly (it's a thread on the Children's Clothing Boutique).

I just hate seeing info just thrown out there that can be so misleading to some parents.