PDA

View Full Version : DS almost 3 is almost outgrown BV -- what is next?

hillview
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
DS #1 is 3 in July but off the charts. I just determined that he is at the top range of the BV. He has another 1/2 or 1 inch before his shoulders are over the straps. I was going to get my DS #2 a new BV as he is 8 months and about out of his SS but think I will give him DS#1's BV. So what do I get DS #1? He has a Radian 80 which is good for travel and is our other seat. Is there anything BIGGER than that?

TIA!
/hillary

o_mom
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
You could get another Radian (65 or 80). You could get a Nautilus, Frontier or Regent, also. The Nautilus only harnesses to 65 lbs, but that is most likely adequate. The Regent is tallest of the three, but widest. The Regent and Frontier both harness to 80 lbs.

KrisM
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I'd go with the Regent. My friend's son outgrew the Wizard (old BV) just before age 2 and is about 1/2 inch from outgrowing the Regent now. He turned 4 in Feb.

lorinick
05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I'd go with the Regent. My friend's son outgrew the Wizard (old BV) just before age 2 and is about 1/2 inch from outgrowing the Regent now. He turned 4 in Feb.
Is that normal that a child will only use the seat until around 2? I was hoping with the Marathon or BLVD. to get until at least age 3. DS is 9mts. he weight is 20 /5 and height is 28.5. What is the typical age most children grow out of a Marathon/BLVD.?

HIU8
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
DS is 3.5 and is on the second to top slots on his MA and seems to have 1.5-2 inches of seat above his head (he is FF). I assume I will get at least another year out of the MA if not longer. However, my friends son, who just turned 3 in Feb. is even with the top slots and his head is above the seatback (also FF).

californiagirl
05-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Is that normal that a child will only use the seat until around 2? I was hoping with the Marathon or BLVD. to get until at least age 3. DS is 9mts. he weight is 20 /5 and height is 28.5. What is the typical age most children grow out of a Marathon/BLVD.?

DD is 90th percentile or better for height. She outgrew her infant seat at 4 months and was out of a (forward facing) RA at 2.5. At 4 and a bit, she still has some room to spare in her Boulevard.

o_mom
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM

No, that is very atypical. Most kids make a minimum of 4 years, with the majority outgrowing it on height around 4.5-6 years.

KrisM
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM

No, my DS just turned 4 and has plenty of room in his BV. My friend's son is way off the charts. I just think that if you're buying for someone extremely tall, you should maximize the life of it.

For reference, my DS is about 42 inches and 40 lbs now. Fairly typical among his preschool class of 4 year olds. This friend of his is 50 inches and 62 lbs! He seriously is taller than my 6.5 year old nephew.