PDA

View Full Version : Having a "day out" while still Potty training?

BillK
05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Any advice for how we're to have a "day out" while Zach's still potty training? I HATE the idea of having to go into a public toilet with him - but I suppose I need to get over that.

Currently he's using a Baby Bjorn potty chair - not exactly the easiest thing to lug along on a day trip - but I suppose it's possible.

We plan to spend the day at a local kids amusement park called Idlewild Park. I guess we could bring the Baby Bjorn along and I could haul him back to the vehicle and try there every few hours - but that sounds painful to me.

I'm just not sure it's as painful as trying to get him to try to go in a public toilet on a new type of potty ring or something.

Any advice?

JBaxter
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Boys out are easy to pee! Have him stand on your shoes in front of the toilet and pee it makes them tall enough to reach :). None of my 3 boys have ever sat on a public toilet. My DH has let them pee in a urinal if it is low enough.

KBecks
05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
OK, where is he at in the whole PT thing? Does he announce - I have to go potty!

If he's good about communicating it, you have no problems. You just have to suck it up about public restrooms. I wrangle Alek and John in public restrooms and thankfully, I'm not a germaphobe.

Alek is now very good about saying when he has to go, so he's almost 100% done. We need to work on having him pull up his underwear and pants and reinforce the hand washing routine.

When you go somewhere, I'd tell him that they have potties and to be sure to tell you if he needs to go.

I have Alek sit on the potty. He does fine sitting on a big toilet. Does Zack do that at home for you? You can have him practice on the big potty at home to see if he's comfortable.

Take a few changes of pants, underwear, socks and shoes with you. It won't be as bad as you think.

KBecks
05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, and why don't you run around with him on some shorter trips as well so you may get some more public potty practice before the big day.

KBecks
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Also, you may want your wife to take him to the potty. From my limited experience cleaning public bathrooms, women's are much cleaner.

If he is not yet communicative about using the potty, then use pull ups. And mention to him when you are near restrooms and ask if he needs to go. I've found that if I need to go, sometimes Alek will want to go with me.

Good luck!

linsei
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM
get a potette. it's pretty easy to carry in the diaper bag. still use ours sometimes.

bubbaray
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
You're going to have to face the, er, music eventually. My DH takes the girls out all the time and DD#1 sometimes has to go to the bathroom. My DH (nor DD#1 for that matter) has never complained about the "ick" factor. I assume they use the mens bathroom if there is no family room available (though I've never asked).

I would think that an amusement park would have family rooms, though. Sometimes they even have mini toilets so you don't have to hold the child, just put the TP on the seat for them.

BTW, beware auto flushers on public toilets. When we encountered our first, I just pointed it out to DD#1 and warned her in advance that the toilet might flush while she was on it and I would hold her. She wasn't too thrilled, but is OK with them now.

At first when we went out with DD#1 we took the Bjorn potty in the back of the van and lined it with plastic bags. Until the first poop in the van. You'll only do that once, LOL. After that, we just packed extra pullups, extra clothes, and used a Kiddopotamus piddle pad in the car seat. If you are extra worried about the car seat, you can use a chux pad.

PS -- congrats on the potty training!

HTH

o_mom
05-06-2008, 07:55 AM
You could get a BB little potty for the car - much smaller than the regular BB one. You could tote a potty ring along - if you are carrying a backpack they fit pretty easy.

If you use the big public potty, practice first somewhere else, like Target or something. DS1 was very, very scared of them and would not use a seat without a ring of some sort for a long, long time. Make sure you hold him tightly to support him as one fall in could set you back a bit.

As PPs said, I think the bigger question is if he is announcing he has to go or still needs lots of reminders. Good luck and take several changes of clothes (including socks and shoes!). :)