PDA

View Full Version : Is 19 months too young for a Regent?

Kearstenn
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have a 19 month old son who is 28 lbs and kind of on the short thick side. I also have a 7 month daughter who is a 15 lb peanut. OH...and a 4 year old at 37 lbs who is tall and skinny. The 4yr old is in a Safety First 5pt Harness/Booster combo in our minivan, the 19 month old is in a marathon and DD is still in an infant seat.

I'm about to get a Regent for my 4yr old simply b/c I don't feel completely confident with the Safety First Seat. It's the first time I strayed from Britax and I need to go back. I thought about the Frontier, but I think I like one solid unit for now (Make sense?).

Is my 19 month old just too young to move to the Regent? I know they say 12 months and 20 lbs, but he has plenty of room in the Marathon. This all came about simply b/c I want to move Katie (7 months) to either Sean's Marathon or buy a new Boulevard or Marathon for her. Eventually I will get a Regent for Sean (19 months), but I'm thinking he's safer in a perfect fit kind of seat over a gigantic one just to save myself from buying another one down the road.

What do you think? Keep Sean in the Marathon? Also, since I love the Marathon, would you give Katie the Marathon again or try out the Boulevard? Since she's so young I can't imagine the wings being a issue.

Sorry for the HUGE post...thanks for listening!!!

Kim

o_mom
05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think I would get a Regent for the 19 mo as he is really young to be forward facing. If you are going to turn him forward facing, I would get a Boulevard for him for the extra side impact protection. The rear-facing Marathon for Katie will be extremely safe (any rear-facing seat is very safe). Also, if you bought the Marathon for your 4 yo, it will likely expire before Katie outgrows it and then she can move to the Boulevard.

Kearstenn
05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Well that didn't take long...just thinking about now, Sean is much better off in the Marathon RF than the Regent. Not sure why they even have the age minimum so low for that one. I just posted on one of the other boards that I really just learned that RF for as long as possible is a safer way to go. None of my friends do that, so I think that message needs to be sent somehow.

So..
New Regent for 4yr old
Current Marathon RF for 19 month old
New Marathon or Bouldevard RF for 7 month old

This can just make your head spin!

jamierush
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
How funny, I was just comming to post if a 22 month old is too young. but since our stats are different I may post another thread.
My 22 month old is 35 inches and 35 pounds.

kep
05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think I would get a Regent for the 19 mo as he is really young to be forward facing. If you are going to turn him forward facing, I would get a Boulevard for him for the extra side impact protection. The rear-facing Marathon for Katie will be extremely safe (any rear-facing seat is very safe). Also, if you bought the Marathon for your 4 yo, it will likely expire before Katie outgrows it and then she can move to the Boulevard.

Yes, this exactly. :yeahthat:

mom2binsd
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I'd look at the Frontier again for the 4 year old...my friend has 3 Regents, which she has loved and just got her Frontiers and much prefers the Frontier...see earlier posts about the Frontier arriving by 801kelle....it sounds like the Frontier might be an easier install and not nearly as big as the Regent.

o_mom
05-05-2008, 01:22 PM
How funny, I was just comming to post if a 22 month old is too young. but since our stats are different I may post another thread.
My 22 month old is 35 inches and 35 pounds.

Answered in your other post, but since your 22 mo is too big for a rear-facing seat then a Regent would be acceptable. :)

o_mom
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
So..
New Regent for 4yr old
Current Marathon RF for 19 month old
New Marathon or Bouldevard RF for 7 month old

:thumbsup:

Great plan!

Joolsplus2
05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I love that the Frontier has a 25 pound/2 yo limit to start using it... I wonder why the Regent doesn't have the same minimum like that?!?!? (Although, absolutely, a 22 mo 35 pound kiddo deserves a big safe seat, too, so maybe it's A Good Thing :))

Joolsplus2
05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
And PS, Kim, I'm so glad you went to car-seat.org and got a good answer :)

Kearstenn
05-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Thank you everyone for all the input! I've sent 4 mamma's to the car-seat.org and this site in the last 48 hours!