PDA

View Full Version : Preterm Labor Sucks!!!

tnrnchick74
05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I know that many of you have BTDT MUCH earlier than me...

I'm right at 36 weeks - having contractions over 5-10 minutes & currently 80-90% effaced, 1-2 cm dilated, 0 station.

My OB put me on bedrest today to try to get me to 37+ weeks. Yeah, I KNOW its the right thing to do and I don't want my DS to end up in the NICU in resp. distress (especially since he's a white male and I'm having a c-section).

The biggest fear is the financial aspects - I didn't have enough PTO time to cover my maternity leave as it is...and now I'm using all of that up BEFORE THE BABY GETS HERE! I'm in REAL danger of losing my car and being evicted during my 8 weeks of "unpaid" leave. And because I haven't been at my job for a year, I don't qualify for FMLA...so my job isn't protected, but my boss assures me that I WILL have a job and they WILL work something out.

I know that $$ isn't more important than the health of my baby - but it sure complicates matters!

And I hate having to rely on my mother to come and clean, shop, and do all the rest of the things that I can't do!

The good news is that DS is doing great; my water hasn't broken (yet); and my weak uterus is actually handling all of this better than they imagined! My OB said I'm so low that if I presented in labor, he MIGHT consider letting me try vaginal...maybe; especially if my labor was going quickly and no pitocin was needed. I had been told MONTHS ago that he didn't think my uterus would be able to handle labor because of all my surgeries. Of course now that I'm actively contracting, I have to go for NST 2x per week.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Could it be prodromal labor? If your cervix isn't actively changing could they just be annoying contractions that will just be there not doing anything? Hopefully that is the case (well, still not ideal but if you can keep that cervix closed and baby in there it would probably be worth contx that don't really produce a baby anytime soon!). Stay put, little guy!!!

Maternity leave in the US really sucks, doesn't it? I'm sorry you have that added worry. Rest well and keep that little guy in there.

Beth

tnrnchick74
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Could it be prodromal labor? If your cervix isn't actively changing could they just be annoying contractions that will just be there not doing anything? Hopefully that is the case (well, still not ideal but if you can keep that cervix closed and baby in there it would probably be worth contx that don't really produce a baby anytime soon!). Stay put, little guy!!!

Maternity leave in the US really sucks, doesn't it? I'm sorry you have that added worry. Rest well and keep that little guy in there.

Beth

I had to go to triage on Friday for these contractions...I was 80% effaced, 1 cm and -2 station...so these contractions really are doing something. They also tried me on turbutaline, and they didn't really slow the contractions - leading my OB to say I really was in preterm labor. He also said that if I stood on my feet for more than an hour or so, my water would probably break...hmm...

Yeah, maternity leave sucks here. I think that if my OB wasn't going on vacation or I was already 37 weeks...he would have delivered me today or tomorrow. But I am what I am! Maybe I will actually get some rest before the baby comes! yeah right! Somehow I don't think I'm going to make it until May 27 though...

TaChapm
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Drink TONS of water! I mean a LOT! I was in preterm labor and on bedrest with Jaci from 22 weeks on. I had contractions every 3-10 minutes from 22 weeks to 35 weeks when she born. I did terbutaline and drank around 3-4 gallons of water every day. (of course you have to pee a lot) Staying hydrated really does help the uterus out. Thankfully even though I was having contractions NON STOP she was stuck on my pelvic bone and never really engaged. I was stuck at 6 CM for 4 weeks and when I went in to have her she was so stuck I ended up having a C-Section.

Hang in there...it is tough but well worth it! My boys were both born at 37 weeks and were perfectly healthy so if you make it to 37 weeks you are in pretty good shape!

tnrnchick74
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping to get to 37 weeks...we shall see. I'm drinking a lot of water, but yeah you do have to pee a lot!

I work in level 3 NICU, so I know exactly what happens when a baby is born early...but its very different when it's your child. I don't WANT him to have to go to the NICU, but I'm prepared if he does.

It's all up to him now - i'm doing my part!

mmsmom
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
So sorry you are going through this!

Is there anything for your job you can do at home? Maybe your boss could give you a special project that can be done on the computer so you can get credit for working and don't have to start your leave now?

I went into hospital @ 35 weeks w/ early labor and although they kept me there, I was able to work from my bed w/ computer & cell phone so I did not have to start my leave until baby came. DS was born @ 36 weeks & was totally fine.. did not have to go to NICU & was in room w/ me. My Dr. really didn't try to push me to any later than 36 weeks.

tnrnchick74
05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
No, I'm an RN so there isn't much I can do from bed. I think my OB would be fine sectioning me at 36 weeks BUT he's going to be on vacation! So he wants to try to hold me off until he gets back...

How DARE he try to have a life when I'm in preterm labor!!! JUST KIDDING!!!