PDA

View Full Version : Bikes - coaster brake or hand brake?

Piglet
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
DS1 is due for a new bike. He needs a 16" bike and they come with either coaster brakes/caliper (hand) brakes/ or one of each. I learned to ride on a bike with coaster brakes and just assumed that is what all kid bikes came with. Now there are so many options! Most still have coaster brakes. The thing about the hand brakes is that in the store, DS does WAY better on both pedalling and braking on bikes that use the hand brake. Am I missing something? Is there a reason kids are supposed to use coaster brakes and adults can use hand brakes? Should I get DS a bike with 1 of each? Ughhh!

MarisaSF
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Are the hand brakes for the rear wheel only? Just curious as we need to get a bigger bike for DD soon and I haven't looked around much. I'd be paranoid about kiddo flipping over the handlebars if they provide front-wheel brakes.

DD has coaster brakes on her 12" bike. I could see her doing better pedaling with a handbrake as she seems to "ride" the coaster brake a lot. It's pretty easy for the foot to do. I think the true test is on a downhill slope. ;)

stefani
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I had suggested the Trek Float to DH, and he immediately said No; he doesn't want to get DS another balance bike. I asked him to at least consider it. He asked if it has hand brake, which it does, and he said: "Then no, he needs coaster brake".

Does it make a big difference whether it has coaster brake or hand brake? DS will be 5 years old by then (Christmas 2008) but he is on the small side.

TIA.