PDA

View Full Version : my particular MA vs. BLVD choice

kekane
05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
i know this is a well-worn topic. and i know that either decision will go fine. but i am on the fence nevertheless.

but here are our details:
9 mon., long skinny boy. (was 17lb, 28" at 6mon check up -- don't have current stats on him)
a mazda 3 (can do center latch)
a hyudai elantra (will do center belt)
both cars have side air bags
will be taking a flight in a month (minor factor)
we will be buying two seats -- he rides in both cars equally

my gut (and my pocketbook) say Marathon. it seems simpler. but the niggling part of my head says "are you forgo the extra side impact protection of the boulevard?"

he'd been slouching in the keyfit -- i got him in there sitting up properly and noticed he's suddenly too close to the top. gotta get new seats pronto!

Joolsplus2
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I vote Marathon... your cars have curtain airbags and the Marathon actually has slightly taller top slots.... (plus, it's hard enough to get a kid into those seats in a smaller car without bonking heads on doorframes, the BV is just an extra element of difficulty you won't have to contend with).

:)

kekane
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
thanks Jools!

lorinick
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I vote Marathon... your cars have curtain airbags and the Marathon actually has slightly taller top slots.... (plus, it's hard enough to get a kid into those seats in a smaller car without bonking heads on doorframes, the BV is just an extra element of difficulty you won't have to contend with).

Julie how much taller is the Marathon slots than the Boulvard? I'm trying to decide between the two. I have an SUV and will be put any seat in the middle with latch. I'm not really worrting about head bonking, but height is an issue the DS is at 95th percent.

Joolsplus2
05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Does your SUV allow center installations with LATCH? Many don't... (just a head's up...). I think the MA slots are like half an inch taller... that can be 6-12 months longer use (seems like most kids are like 4 when they are too big for the BV, and 5-6 when they are too big for the MA, based on years of board reading).

christiedavid3
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I have a Mazda 3 and got the BV for my 8.5 MO DS. I use it in the outboard passenger position and have been very happy with it.

Jools, can I use LATCH in the center in my 2006 Mazda 3???

kekane
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Jools word would trump mine, but i'm pretty sure you can use LATCH in the center on a Mazda 3. My manual (2004 car) said you can -- but you just can't have two seats attached to one LATCH anchor. ie there are only two sets of anchors, but for this car it's OK to use the innermost ones together -- seat permitting.

for the Keyfit base the center anchors were too far away for that to work/be allowed.

But let me know if i'm wrong on this!

Joolsplus2
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Right! Mazda and Britax (and cosco and graco, but not key fit or sunshine kids) allow center LATCHage :)

lorinick
05-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Does your SUV allow center installations with LATCH? Many don't... (just a head's up...). I think the MA slots are like half an inch taller... that can be 6-12 months longer use (seems like most kids are like 4 when they are too big for the BV, and 5-6 when they are too big for the MA, based on years of board reading).

:)Julie,
I have Saturn vue and it does have it's own center latch hooks. I have them in all three seats. I'm really suprised that the Marathon is that much higher slots when you can make the sides TSIP go up taller than the Marathon seat. Can you go all the way up with TSIP?