PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
DD's upper lip has been rough and red for awhile. Some days it looks better, other's worse. It is only on the top and seems to make her lip puffy (though it could just be her lip) It looks rough, kinda like chapped lips, but it doesn't feel chapped. She got her own chapstick for Easter and I thought maybe she was having a reaction so I took it away. Well, that hasn't helped.

It doesn't look like a cold sore because there is no sore. Just a puffy, redish, rough looking lip. Any ideas? I really thought it would go away on it's own by now!

Wife_and_mommy
05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Does she suck her thumb? It sounds like dd's callous from thumb-sucking. It comes and goes. Lately she also picks at it...so fun...not. My dc's both had them as newborns from nursing.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Does she suck her thumb? It sounds like dd's callous from thumb-sucking. It comes and goes. Lately she also picks at it...so fun...not. My dc's both had them as newborns from nursing.

No thumb sucking. She does still use a paci and nap/night. Maybe that's it!

shilo
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
i think my best friend's DD had something like what you're describing. it did indeed turn out to be from excess moisture being trapped against the skin from the binky. it did seem to come and go and was worse when she was using the binky's more often. i think my friend would sneak in after her DD was asleep and pull it out for a while to give her skin some 'air time', and it resolved on it's own.

hth, lori.

DrSally
05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I've had this when I've had a reaction to sunscreen in my lipstick or chapstick. It gets very puffy and chaped/rough, but no amount of moisture will help it. Basically, it's irritated. My doc suggested putting some OTC hydrocortisone on it and then it went away fast. I don't know about doing this with a child though. This is just my experience, the other posters suggestions also sound plausible.

ETA: If it's the paci thing, maybe you could put some aquaphor on her lips before the paci and that might provide a "moisture barrier"

Tondi G
05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Something like that was quite common at DS's preschool. All the kids got in the habit of licking their lips and before we knew it they had red all around their mouths. It took a week or so of reminding him not to lick his lips and putting on a thin layer of polysporin and a good coating of Aquaphor at night after he had fallen asleep!

hillview
05-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I'd put aquaphore on it every night and every diaper change or when you think of it. DS gets things like that and the aquaphore seems to take care of it in 1-3 days.
/hillary

catpagmo
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
My DD gets this, too. It's from her paci. When it gets red, I put a little vaseline on it at night, before I give her the paci. It seems to help a lot.

HTH!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I have been using Aquaphor on it a few times a day (especially before nap/bedtime) and her lip looks a million times better! Thanks so much for the suggestions! I am so psyched that she won't have puffy red lip in her birthday pictures! :yay:

DrSally
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah!............

We use Aquaphor. Even thicker for overnight is nipple cream. I never had to use my tube, so I use it on DS overnight in the winter.