PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days?

DeeEast
05-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I've got a 4.5 year old and 2.5 year old twins. Tried taking a shower this morning and as usual had them in the bedroom with the latch at the top of the door while I was in the master bath. Routine that works like a charm usually is that I tell all 3 kids that I am going to take a shower, turn on Nick Jr. and then go through the litany of what I expect: no hitting, use your words, no jumping, no screaming, come get Mommy if you need her, etc. (My 2.5 year old son knows the drill and so much that he repeats it back to me as I say it).

In the shower and the barage begins. I go out and turn off the TV (that's the threat if there is not harmony during the shower). Go back in to finish the shower and things are suspiciously quiet. Go out to find that 4.5 year old DD has taken a chair and pushed it up to the door and OPENED THE LATCH and her and 2.5 year old DS are now running around upstairs. Not good.

Then it all comes down to DS wants to do everything that older DD does so now he knows to put the chair up and unlock the door. Older DD decides that she's in a foul mood and going to give me a hard time with everything. Which of course DS wants to do everything she is doing so he decides to provoke me in every way possible. Younger twin DD decides the other 2 are getting too much attention being bad so she spends half her day in time-out because of her various misbehaviors.

Why then oh why did I decide to then make waffles for dinner with my waffle-iron that is possessed by the devil? You know the one that works like a charm half of the time and other times the waffles stick like with super-glue on a thousand degree heat element while all 3 kids are yelling that they are starving and DH is out mowing the yard?

Me thinks I need to learn how to use the riding mower and let DH stay in the house with the kids while I mow the yard and listen to my mp3.

gatorsmom
05-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I've got a 4.5 year old and 2.5 year old twins. Tried taking a shower this morning and as usual had them in the bedroom with the latch at the top of the door while I was in the master bath. Routine that works like a charm usually is that I tell all 3 kids that I am going to take a shower, turn on Nick Jr. and then go through the litany of what I expect: no hitting, use your words, no jumping, no screaming, come get Mommy if you need her, etc. (My 2.5 year old son knows the drill and so much that he repeats it back to me as I say it).

In the shower and the barage begins. I go out and turn off the TV (that's the threat if there is not harmony during the shower). Go back in to finish the shower and things are suspiciously quiet. Go out to find that 4.5 year old DD has taken a chair and pushed it up to the door and OPENED THE LATCH and her and 2.5 year old DS are now running around upstairs. Not good.

Then it all comes down to DS wants to do everything that older DD does so now he knows to put the chair up and unlock the door. Older DD decides that she's in a foul mood and going to give me a hard time with everything. Which of course DS wants to do everything she is doing so he decides to provoke me in every way possible. Younger twin DD decides the other 2 are getting too much attention being bad so she spends half her day in time-out because of her various misbehaviors.

Why then oh why did I decide to then make waffles for dinner with my waffle-iron that is possessed by the devil? You know the one that works like a charm half of the time and other times the waffles stick like with super-glue on a thousand degree heat element while all 3 kids are yelling that they are starving and DH is out mowing the yard?

Me thinks I need to learn how to use the riding mower and let DH stay in the house with the kids while I mow the yard and listen to my mp3.

Me thinks you need to throw a pizza in the oven and call it a day. :) But seriously, is that what I have to look forward to? Because in 2 years I'll have the same scenario- with the addition of a 6 year old (who is pretty well behaved, if I say so myself). But, um, yeah, I have those days on a regular basis.

Hope tomorrow is better!

elephantmeg
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I had one of those days yesterday too, argh! I called DH and told him I want to go back to work next week instead of at 12 wks PP :) Hugs and sorry the lock trick is now over.

Oh, and Sat I did learn how to use the riding mower and let me tell you it was bliss to think of DH battling the kids while I blissfully mowed ALL BY MYSELF. You totally should, it's a blast :)

Melanie
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh man. And I'm with you, a peaceful ride on a mower?! Go for it! I think one of the favorite aspects of getting a part-time job was the quiet ride ALL ALONE to work. :)

dr mom
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, I use the push mower in the 80 degree heat and it's still more peaceful than the chaos indoors. You definitely need a turn on the riding mower!

DrSally
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
The waffle iron possessed by the devil...love it! At least you gave someone else a chuckle. Yes being outside doing yard work would be a peaceful break!