PDA

View Full Version : Cast Removal Tips?

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2008, 06:55 AM
DS's spica cast removal day is here!!

DH nor I know what to expect aside from sawing noise. I've told DS it will be loud "like the vaccuum".

Any other tips?

TIA

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Tell him it might tickle (due to the vibrations of the saw) and make sure the ortho tech "tests" the saw on his/your arm so he sees that it will NOT cut him!

and be prepared for nasty smelling, icky skin that he's going to want to scratch but shouldn't! Lotion way sting it as well...

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2008, 07:22 AM
and be prepared for nasty smelling, icky skin that he's going to want to scratch but shouldn't! Lotion way sting it as well...

His cast is waterproof(Goretex lined) so he's getting a bath before we go in. Your advice is for the traditional plaster kind, right? The only skin I can't see is is his legs. His torso is in perfect shape.

Thank you for the tickle instruction! The pedi orthos have been phenomenal but I'll make sure they test it on his arm to reassure him.

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 07:52 AM
His cast is waterproof(Goretex lined) so he's getting a bath before we go in. Your advice is for the traditional plaster kind, right? The only skin I can't see is is his legs. His torso is in perfect shape.

Thank you for the tickle instruction! The pedi orthos have been phenomenal but I'll make sure they test it on his arm to reassure him.

You might be surprised how much "gunk" can develop because of sweat! I've had both kinds of casts (trad fiberglass and waterproof) on my legs and both kinds had some sort of skin breakdown, though the waterproof kind WAS better.

I know he will do great! Congrats on this big day!

o_mom
05-06-2008, 07:57 AM
No advice on the cast removal, but so glad everything is healed!

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
You might be surprised how much "gunk" can develop because of sweat! I've had both kinds of casts (trad fiberglass and waterproof) on my legs and both kinds had some sort of skin breakdown, though the waterproof kind WAS better.

I know he will do great! Congrats on this big day!

Thanks! Yeah, I can't wait to see what fell into the leg portion that I didn't even know about. :ROTFLMAO: I did get complimented on his skin care. I was quite proud. :love-retry:

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
No advice on the cast removal, but so glad everything is healed!

Thank you!

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I can't wait to see what fell into the leg portion that I didn't even know about. :ROTFLMAO: I did get complimented on his skin care. I was quite proud. :love-retry:

You should be proud! ANY kind of cast on a small kiddo is difficult to keep the skin clean & healthy! Any kind of cast on an adult is difficult to keep the skin clean & healthy!!!! You did a GREAT job!!!!

ThreeofUs
05-06-2008, 08:22 AM
make sure the ortho tech "tests" the saw on his/your arm so he sees that it will NOT cut him!

ITA - the two times I've had a cast off, I was cut. *Listen* to your little guy if he complains that it hurts; it really shouldn't.

And I'm SO glad he's getting his cast off today!

octmom
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
It's been nearly 30 years (!) since I had a cast on my leg in second grade, but I remember that my leg felt a bit wobbly when the cast was removed. Also, it looked a little skinnier than the other leg, probably because the muscles had atrophied a little bit. I remember the orthopedist telling me that the saw would tickle and showing me that it would not cut the skin, just as a PP suggested.

brittone2
05-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Congratulations on this big milestone. Make sure you get before and after pics for the baby book!!