PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Ebay WWYD

veronica
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a large item that I won and the next day, the seller asked for additional funds for shipping. the listing summary showed $60, which is what I paid, but the body of the listing did say that she only charged actual shipping and that, depending on destination, could be much less. I reminded her as such via email and said I would not pay more and that she should check out other carriers.

A few days go by and I get a one line email saying "Husband just left to post office. We will not charge you extra". I think that's great. Well, the item arrived yesterday in two large boxes and the postage for each was only $15 per box. I emailed her again, reminding her of the listing and I ask her to refund the extra shipping. Since she has a history of taking so long to get back to me, I am not expecting a reply anytime soon.

I am fuming that she asked for $30 more in shipping after the auction ended and the actual was 1/2 of what I had already paid-I am pretty sure she is just upset the auction went for so little. But-if that is the case, she should have raised the minimum bid or asked for flat shipping rather than say "I charge actual shipping".

so-who do I pursue to get the additional funds credited back to me? Do I give her more time to answer my email from yesterday (its been 3 weeks since auction) or file with ebay, paypal or both? do I have a case since the summary of the auction lists shipping as $60 (in the body of the listing she does go on to explain that she entered that amount because ebay requires some sort of shipping cost in the listing but that she would only charge actual)

I am just so mad that someone tried to take advantage of me for more money when the actual was less than I had already even paid!

UPDATE 5/12: Yippeeeeee, I am victorious! I was refunded the $28 in overshipping. funny thing, she claimed to be unaware how much actual was, since her DH sent it. I said it was strange he would not have come home with a huge sigh of relief over not having to pay $150. She never quite addressed that comment, or told me where the receipt was. She said she called the post office to check it out and in the meantime asked for pictures. I secretly think she hoped I had thrown out the boxes, but sure enough, I sent pictures within minutes. I didn't hear from her until Sat. when she finally refunded the funds and claimed this: "When we got to the post office to ask them in person, they were waiting for us. They said the charged us incorrectly and we had to pay the additional amount. but, I don't want negative feedback , so I refunded you the money". I have not yet responded to her and am not sure what to say. I am glad that I have the money back-I still totally feel lied to. I mean, I don't think a post office would charge additional shipping two weeks after a package was sent. And, if so, why didn't she send me that receipt as argument against refunding me..... DH and I were tempted to package the item back and weigh it at our post office to call her bluff but that is simply too much effort at this point. I am tempted to acknoledge that we are content the refund was processed and would like to say something like "It is very unethical for the post office to charge additional shipping after a transaction was completed..." How ironic, huh?

hallelujah
05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I sell on Ebay sometimes, and when I have put that I will refund difference in shipping if costs were less than quoted, I immediately refunded through paypal same day I shipped. I would look to see if the seller has other items listed (meaning they probably check the computer every day to see how items are selling, and I am sure would have noticed you sent them a message). See if they have left feedback for others today or yesterday. That way you can tell if they are avoiding you. I would email Ebay about this seller, because it is against Ebay policy to ask for extra money for shipping costs after auction ends. Be sure to email Ebay!! That is probably the only way you will get the money refunded. Sorry, that happened. I would give the seller one more day to respond/refund, but regardless, let Ebay know what she is doing.

MamaMolly
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Yick. This has been a stinker of a situation..I've been following your postsand honestly, I'm DYING to know what you bought!!???

Kungjo
05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I would report this to EBAY as well. She sounded like she was trying to scam you out of more money when she sent you that e-mail about paying additional shipping fees. That's a red flag to me that she's trying to make more money off the transaction.

At this point, she may be avoiding you and hope that you go away so that she can keep the extra money. I wouldn't count on her to willingly refund your money without some EBAY intervention.

It's sellers like these that give honest ones on there a bad name. It kinda sours the whole buying experience. Good Luck.

shaee
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I can understand how frustrating this is. However one thing she can argue is that since it is "shipping & handling", the rest of the cost went towards handling.

But this is pure dishonesty. I would report her to ebay, give a bad review and hope she "might" refund the amount!

veronica
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I emailed this morning, letting her know how disappointed I was that they tried for more money when the actual was half of what I had paid. I let her know that she is giving ebay a bad name. Also let her know I would give her until the end of business today to respond with a credit before I filed my claim with ebay and paypal.

Here is a pic of what I bought. $164 winning bid plus $60 in shipping. Pretty good deal-it can retail for more than double that with crazy shipping costs, depending on website. On the plus side, my kids love it!

MamaMolly
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I emailed this morning, letting her know how disappointed I was that they tried for more money when the actual was half of what I had paid. I let her know that she is giving ebay a bad name. Also let her know I would give her until the end of business today to respond with a credit before I filed my claim with ebay and paypal.

Here is a pic of what I bought. $164 winning bid plus $60 in shipping. Pretty good deal-it can retail for more than double that with crazy shipping costs, depending on website. On the plus side, my kids love it!

Wow! That is great stuff! Thanks for letting us know. I think you have been very, very patient and more than fair. I agree that now is the time for a stern words and getting things official. Cheers!

KrisM
05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm not clear on where the $60 was listed. If it was under the shipping and handling section rather than in her description, you will not be able to get it back from ebay or paypal because you agreed to it when bidding. If it was only in the description, I'm not sure what they'll say.

As a seller, I would refund if I overcharged by that much. Sure, some is handling, but not $30 worth.

veronica
05-12-2008, 10:25 AM
I can't believe I got my $ back! Now, I don't know what to do with feedback for seller.

tnrnchick74
05-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't believe I got my $ back! Now, I don't know what to do with feedback for seller.

If you left - feedback, I would go and make a comment/ammend it. If you hadn't left feedback I would leave + feedback with the note that an "issue" was resolved to your satisfaction. Glad you got your $$ back!

ShanaMama
05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Glad she refunded you the $$. That story sounds quite strange- the post office undercharged them and waited 2 weeks, then when they walked in the employee remembered them & charged the difference? Hard to believe. I think she wants to refund you the $$ but still be 'right', KWIM?
I'm not very proficient in ebay but if you don't want to leave negative feedback why not leave neutral feedback with a basic comment?

katerinasmom
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
If the correct postage was not on the package I highly doubt that it ever would have made it to you and not returned to the sender. There is no way that the post office put the incorrect amount of postage on the package and then shipped it anyway. Glad to hear you got your money back. I'd stay clear of this seller in the future. Definitely not worth the aggravation - although you did get a really great deal.

dr mom
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I"When we got to the post office to ask them in person, they were waiting for us. They said they charged us incorrectly and we had to pay the additional amount. but, I don't want negative feedback , so I refunded you the money".

:hysterical:

She seriously expected you to believe that she was ambushed at the post office by employees who had been waiting TWO FULL WEEKS for her to return so they could demand more money??

Momof3Labs
05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
:hysterical:

She seriously expected you to believe that she was ambushed at the post office by employees who had been waiting TWO FULL WEEKS for her to return so they could demand more money??

Agreed. If she hadn't paid the right amount of postage, the boxes would have been deposited right back on her porch, and she would have had to ship them again (at her expense). If she had just refunded the money, I would say give her a weak positive - something like "Issue with shipping charges but was resolved to my satisfaction". That lie, though, would probably make me want to leave neutral feedback or skip leaving feedback altogether. Or perhaps a positive that reads "Issue with shipping charges was resolved to my satisfaction, but not without extensive effort on my part"??

Melanie
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
What a bizarre story. If you really want to hunt down the truth you could call her PO, but at this point I'd let it go. And leave no feedback.

hallelujah
05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
As far as I know, sellers are no longer allowed to leave negative feedback for a buyer. I remember reading on the sellers forum that would be starting in May. I don't know full details-I just know it makes me not want to sell, especially since I have had non-paying bidders before.

I would send the seller a message stating the P.O. would not have sent the package to your house, if shipping was not paid. Let them know you contacted the p.o. yourself regarding the information she gave you, and the p.o. would have sent it back to her home, not to you. She flat-out lied to you, and if it will make you feel any better, call her on it.

Also, look to see if she is selling anymore of what you bought. If she is, and is still charging $60 for shipping, when she knows it is only $30, you can report the listing to Ebay. Some sellers will charge A LOT for shipping, since they only pay Ebay fees on the listing and selling pricenot shipping, and therefore "take" money away from Ebay (is that making any sense?). Ebay will end her listings, and after enough warnings, she won't be able to sell.
Glad you got refunded the money!!

KrisM
05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm glad you got your money back!

The PPs are right - the PO isn't going to deliver it if it doesn't have enough postage on it and they're not going to charge her 2 weeks later either. What an odd story!

As for seller's leaving no negative feedback, that policy appears to be going into effect on May 19. What isn't clear though is whether it applies only to transactions completed on or after May 19 or if it is retroactive to any transaction where feedback has not been left. I'd probably wait to leave any feedback at this point. I would probably leave a positive, but keep it boring, like "thanks".