PDA

View Full Version : LOVE our Balance Bike

carolinamama
05-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Just a quick review and example of how awesome these bikes are in case it helps anyone.

Thanks to this board I was introduced to balance bikes. Then dh and I spent some time in Germany and were sold on the concept. So ds got one for Christmas from my parents. We went with the Like-a-Bike Jumper, their aluminum frame model, not wood.

He was a bit too small for it at Christmas and just recently started riding it all the time. He LOVES it. He calls it his big-boy bike. He is 2.75 years old and is a very average height. The seat is on the lowest setting right now but may need to be raised an inch soon. Within days he was gliding and balancing on his own. He rides to our neighborhood playground and up and down our street. It does have a limited steering angle feature, but you can take off the little rubber part that makes this work when kids get older and more in control. I am sold on the idea of balance bikes and am so happy to have gotten one.

I am sure there are other options out there besides the like a bike, but it is hard to find one small enough for younger kids and Puky bikes are so hard to get. This one works, as long as you are willing to pay a bit more- or grandparents who are willing.

matthewsmom
05-07-2008, 08:50 AM
We just got a Puky bike this weekend at a yard sale. I couldn't believe it. Someone was selling it for only $15. My husband wasn't that sold on it but our son loves it. He was gliding on his own after about 15 minutes. It's a great concept and I'm surprised that it isn't as hot as in Germany.

DrSally
05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
We just got a Puky bike this weekend at a yard sale. I couldn't believe it. Someone was selling it for only $15. My husband wasn't that sold on it but our son loves it. He was gliding on his own after about 15 minutes. It's a great concept and I'm surprised that it isn't as hot as in Germany.

Wow, what a find. We just picked up our Strider and DH is going to put it together this weekend. We already noticed a difference, though, between the 2 times he tried out different balance bikes at stores in his ability to balance. Glad I found out about them here too.

brittone2
05-07-2008, 12:26 PM

What a score! We love, love, love our Puky bike. DS has gotten so much use out of it in the past year, and it has been amazing to watch him learn with it!

carolinamama
05-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Oh what an awesome find. I would have jumped on it if I had seen it too. And was going for the Puky but with shipping from Germany and all the hassle, we just went the easy way. And I didn't know about the Strider at this point. Hope your son enjoys it as much as mine.