PDA

View Full Version : When did you go on maternity leave?

Bea_Arthur
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I am new to all of this, so I hope you girls might be able to give me something to go on...

How early/late did you begin maternity leave? I'd like to work as long as possible to help supplement our income while I can, but I don't want to cut it too close. And when is too close? Who knows when the baby will actually come!

I work at home, so this affords some conveniences, but sometimes I tend to overestimate what I can do; for instance, will I need a week to ready things and relax work-free or can I conceivably do this while working straight up to the due date (June 23rd)?

I plan to take off six weeks and "go back" part-time instead of full time... but again, I don't know what I'll be able to do while working at home with a newborn. Will this be reasonable? I mostly spend my day communicating via email and phone calls with my company and the subcontractors I manage (not constantly, I also review and generate reports). It is quite a flexible work environment... I am lucky.

Any thoughts? There's just no way for me to really know what to expect, so any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Heather

m448
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
with my first (I've been a SAHM since) I worked until 4 days before my due date and still went almost 10 days post dates before going into labor.

momtoonegirl
05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I began my maternity leave one month before my due date. I had a stressful job that required working 10 or more hours a day, and my OB thought that would be a good time to stop working.

My husband was also commuting by plane to work, was only home on weekends until a week before my due date, and we did not have family close by (closest was a 4 hour plane ride away).

Everything worked out fine, and DD was born a few days late anyway :)

new_mommy25
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
With DS I left one week before my due date. He was born on his due date.

With DD I left about 2 weeks before. I would have stayed longer but I had a friend from out of town coming to visit me. DD was born 5 days early.

Gena
05-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I worked until 8 days PAST my due date, at which point my doctor pretty much ordered me to go on leave. I was induced a couple of days later.

I did notice that once I was past my due date I was no longer invited to department meetings. I was the administrative assistant for a department of all men and the guys were terrified that I would go into labor in the conference room.

citymama
05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I worked until a few days *after* my due date. DD was born 11 days late (!) so I had about 5 days off before I went into labor. I had planned to work until my due date - working from home, it was fairly easy to do. I'm glad I chose to save my maternity leave until after she was born - needed it much more then!

hillview
05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I worked til my water broke with DS #1. I worked til the day of my C-section (scheduled) with DS #2. I worked from home in a pretty intensive job (calls and emails with sales-level stress). It meant more time at home with my DS post delivery.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

lovin2shop
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
I worked right up to my due date and labor. Both babies were born on Monday and worked the Friday before. Sigh. I had hoped to take off a couple of days, but I work for a small company and don't really have a replacement. I took 7 weeks out of the office, but worked some from home. Honestly, until you have childcare arrangements, I really wouldn't try to work from home and take care of a baby at the same time. It made me completely nutty and I didn't feel like I did a good job at either task. I was fine going back by 7 weeks, it was a relief to not be overwhelmed by both responsibilities at once. With my first, I thought that I would get work done during nap time. With my second, I knew better and had someone come into the house and help while I was working. So, my biggest piece of advice to work at home moms is to make sure that you have very good childcare arrangements in advance because it is too hard to do both. It may not seem like it, but trust me, it is.

ETA: When I was full term, I got on an elevator at work and a man inside ran out, clearly not on his floor yet, looking at me with total panic in his eyes. Everyone on the elevator starting laughing since we all knew he was just scared to ride with me!

HIU8
05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
DS was born over Thanksgiving holiday so I worked until the day before Thanksgiving and DS was born 2 days later. With DD I was working from home pt and commuting 1 day a week for meetings. DD was born on the weekend so I worked as usual and took DS to daycare the day before.

missym
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I was lucky enough to be able to work right up until the day I had the baby both times. I was feeling good though - if I'd been miserable I probably would have taken off a few days before the due date.

elliput
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I scheduled my mat leave to start the Monday after my due date, but ended up starting it 3 1/2 weeks early as I was sent from my OB appt to L&D for observation and then induction. I had developed pre-eclampsia.

elephantmeg
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I worked past my due date, was a week overdue with DS. On the friday after my due date (which had been Monday) my fluid levels were low so they set e up with an induction for Sun night and took me off of work (I'm a nurse as was scheduled fri/sat/sun evenight shift) so I had a few days to rest and drink water and try to go into labor. With DD I had a repeat c-section, worked until Sun night and had her on Tuesday so I had Monday off :) Working part time from home with a newborn is feasable as long as you have some rules-no calls before such a time and I may have to call you back if the baby is screaming.

LD92599
05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I worked a regular day til 5pm and DS was born around 10am the next morning! I had a fantastic pregnancy though and felt great the whole time. I also wanted to maximize my time w/ a newborn before heading back to work (12 weeks)

sunriseiz
05-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Ditto what Missy said. Both of my DC were 1 week early and, though I worried about going into labor at work, it happened while I was home. So, I worked up until then. I had vaguely 'planned' that I might take a couple of days off near the end, but it didn't happen. I must say that the men I work with (doctors!) were most afraid that I'd go into labor at work. Pretty funny! :)

gordo
05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I worked until the day before I gave birth with my first. She was 4 days late. I felt great during that pregnancy and didn't feel any reason to stop. I stopped when I started having contractions LOL

With this one, I work in a school and am done 6/9 and am due 6/26 so I obviously will just finish out the year. However, this pregnancy has been really hard on me so if I did have to work up until I was due, my guess is that I would start my maternity leave much earlier this time.

I really think it will all depend on how you feel.

baileygirl
05-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I worked until 2 days before my due date, and then went into labor 3 days past his due date. I felt fine and would have worked up to my due date had it not been over Thanksgiving weekend.

Emmas Mom
05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
With DD#1 I worked until Friday, actually started labor at work, worked a 1/2 day, went home & the next morning had DD. With DD#2 I worked until Friday & went out on maternity leave but didn't have DD until the next Friday.

Momof3Labs
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
With DS1, planned to take two weeks off before his due date. He was born on my last scheduled day of work!

With DS2, I worked up until the end, minus one day. I took a Wed off because I felt lousy, and he was born on Thursday (1 week early). I didn't want to take off any earlier because time off before his birth would reduce the amount of time I could stay at home with him after his birth.

On a side note, your plan to work part-time and take care of a newborn is kinda ambitious. It might work for a while depending on your job and depending on your baby's disposition, but you might also want to brainstorm alternatives (child care, change jobs, etc) in case it doesn't work. Eventually, you'll probably have to do something as it is tough caring for a mobile baby while trying to get some serious work done. Either you will get totally stressed out, or your employer will get fed up. BTW, I'm speaking from experience on this - I have worked at home part-time for almost 5.5 years and the arrangement would not have lasted had I not had good child care!

ETA: With regard to taking time off before the baby, consider whether you are the type who can stay busy and distracted, or will you spend a week laying on the couch, obsessing over every little twinge? If you are the latter, you may go absolutely batty!! I vote to work as long as you are physically able to do so.

jhrabosk
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I planned to work up to my due date, but was having difficulty with the commute. My boss agreed to let me work from home the last week. Then DD was a week late, so I just sat around and watched TV. :)

My step-sister called me from work to tell me she was having contractions...she worked through the whole day and gave birth early the following morning.

As for working from home once the baby's there...you'd probably be best served to play it by ear, if you can. I'm not sure that I could've done it with DD, but I'm planning to try when the time comes for #2.

kijip
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, my water broke as I was leaving work at 11AM because the contractions were getting regular during the morning meeting. He was born late the following night. :ROTFLMAO:

newmomto1
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Hmmm.... when I was 7 mos pg with DS. He is now 4 1/2 years old & I haven't gone back to work yet :47:

mamabelle
05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I planned on working until a week before due date with both kids. Both times I delivered way earlier than that so that plan did not work out so well. I figured I would be totally miserable since I was on my feet a lot at work and it would give me time to prep stuff. In the end, nothing was ever ready and it all worked out. I had 3 months leave so if I had gone late it would not have been as bid of a deal if I had to go when she was a little under 3 months as opposed to 3 months. If I had only 6 weeks I would plan on working until my water broke or my contractions were regular and close! I cannot imagine going back much before 6 weeks if I could help it.

Good luck to you!

Mamabelle

ThreeofUs
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
I worked (at work) until the snow was so bad I felt I was risking everything to drive to work - that was about a week before I was due. I worked from home right up to about 5 minutes before we left for the hospital.

wellyes
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
With a standard pregnancy and no special circumstances (such as having to drive in snowy weather) I don't think it's worthwhile to take off before the baby comes. The time afterwards is so precious. Anyway, in late pregnancy you're just sitting around uncomfortable. May as well get paid for that time! Especially since you work from home. The only thing I was nervous about was going into labor at the office.

I worked in the office until my due date, and from home after that. DD was one day late, so I just did one day from home.

Going back part time is fantastic, but working from home with newborn in the house will be a real challenge. Mine is 6 weeks old now. She sleeps about half the day at varying hours. When she's not sleeping, she demands almost all of my attention. Since you work on the phone a lot that will be the biggest challenge since all babies cry, loudly, a lot. But it's great you have such a flexible environment. I'd be so thrilled to be able to go back part time OR from home, let alone to do both.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Seeing how ds1 came 2 full weeks past his EDD I would tell someone else to work at least till EDD but as long as possible would be even better.

Beth

Melanie
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
4 weeks before my due date. I cherished that time. It was like my last 'hurrah' before baby was here. Not that I did anything wild, LOL, just ran errands and such and enjoyed resting. Good thing since it was months before I ever got any again!

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I PLANNED on working up to the day of my scheduled c-section. HOWEVER, Parker (and my uterus) had other plans and I'm currently on bedrest for preterm labor.

I'm freaking out because I'm using my PTO time BEFORE the baby gets here. Thankfully the hospital I work at (and FL law) will protect my job once I deliver for 6 weeks (vag) or 8 weeks (c-section) recovery/bonding time. Unfortunately, I won't get paid during most of that time (will be out of PTO).

However, I'm miserable with horrible swelling and backaches that it would have been VERY difficult to keep working - though its amazing what you do when you HAVE to do it.

I can't give any advice about working from home with a newborn, as my career doesn't really lend itself to that!

Good luck!

ShanaMama
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm freaking out because I'm using my PTO time BEFORE the baby gets here. Thankfully the hospital I work at (and FL law) will protect my job once I deliver for 6 weeks (vag) or 8 weeks (c-section) recovery/bonding time. Unfortunately, I won't get paid during most of that time (will be out of PTO).

Just wanted to address this point. Not sure where you live, but my impression was that FMLA laws in the US obligate your employer to hold your job for much longer than 6 weeks. I thought it was about a year, but could be completely wrong on that one. This is unpaid leave, of course. Good luck with your bedrest & hope you start feeling better now.

To the OP: I worked until about my due date with DD. I stopped because I had an episode of false labor & just never went back. I ended up being 2 full weeks late & my office called every day to see if I'd given birth yet. Annoying!!
I've been trying to decide what to do this time around. I'd really like to maximize my time off after the baby, so will probably work as long as I can manage. I have a rather long commute (45 mins each way) but my office is actually closer to my midwives' office & hospital than my home is, so if I go into labor at work I can just have DH meet me! LOL
My game plan is to see how I feel the weeks leading up to due date & playing it by ear.

dr mom
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I work part-time, 3 days a week - usually 9-10 hour days. I'm on my feet a lot, but it's not terribly strenuous.

I worked until I went into labor at 37 weeks. Aside from being tired in general during the last few weeks of pregnancy, work was not a problem.

tnrnchick74
05-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to address this point. Not sure where you live, but my impression was that FMLA laws in the US obligate your employer to hold your job for much longer than 6 weeks. I thought it was about a year, but could be completely wrong on that one. This is unpaid leave, of course. Good luck with your bedrest & hope you start feeling better now.

FMLA only covers you if you have been employed with that company for 1 year continuously (or the equivilent # of hours). It covers up to 12 weeks. I've only been at this hospital since Oct. unfortunately. My maternity leave isn't protected by the federal laws, only the state laws (FL)...but yes, generally you can get up to 12 weeks for maternity/adoption/or medical care for yourself and dependants.

But thanks for mentioning this because it IS important to know what the laws are. I'm very fortunate that my employer and boss are being very understanding and helpful. They can't help that I don't have a lot of PTO time built up, but it will all work out! And thanks for the + thoughts.

Clarity
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I went two weeks before my due date...pretty much because my ob said it was time. I had a bit of swelling and the like so she wanted me to "take it easy". Ha! I got more rest sitting at my desk at work than I did home preparing for the baby - who was born June 23rd, I might add. :D

Congrats on your coming June baby!

trales
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
I worked until my EDD, and then my feet were to swollen to stand all day. I taught HS chem and had to be on my feet. DD was 10 days late. I spent that time digging up the flower beds trying to induce labor.

ShanaMama
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
FMLA only covers you if you have been employed with that company for 1 year continuously (or the equivilent # of hours). It covers up to 12 weeks. I've only been at this hospital since Oct. unfortunately. My maternity leave isn't protected by the federal laws, only the state laws (FL)...but yes, generally you can get up to 12 weeks for maternity/adoption/or medical care for yourself and dependants.

But thanks for mentioning this because it IS important to know what the laws are. I'm very fortunate that my employer and boss are being very understanding and helpful. They can't help that I don't have a lot of PTO time built up, but it will all work out! And thanks for the + thoughts.

Thanks for clarifying that. I am surprised to hear it's only 12 weeks mandated by the federal govt. I really thought it was longer. Good luck working things out.

bubbaray
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I was off work on semi-bedrest 6w prior to my EDD with DD#1 (I wasn't allowed to drive or walk alone due to severe dizziness and I couldn't read or do much else for the same reason. It was a boring 6w!). DD#1 was born via emergency c/s at exactly 39w. With DD#2, my last day was a week and a half prior to her scheduled c/s date (38w). I had one year paid maternity leave with both.

I don't think I would have been able to RTW with either girl at 6w, but lots of women in the US do it.

o_mom
05-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I had a great employer (from a benefits perspective) - paid leave started one month before your due date, then 6 wks paid after the baby was born. I took the additional 6 wks unpaid FMLA, burned my vacation and holidays and then went on a three year leave of abscence after which I resigned.

TahliasMom
05-07-2008, 12:47 AM
i left 4 weeks before my EDD. I had a 45 minute commute and it was quite uncomfortable not to mention 10 hour days with a beeotch of a boss. I also carried really low and had a lot of swelling around 38 so it was nice to rest. I delivered a week late so I used up a bit of my PTO. I ended up taking 4 months off, almost all paid due to 4 years of accumulated PTO. I quit the same day. I went back to work when dd was 10 months.

cono0507
05-07-2008, 01:37 AM
#1 - the day I was admited to the hospital (had complicatoins arise and had to deliver asap) then had an 18 week leave
#2 - 2 weeks before my scheduled c-section then had 11 weeks off afterward.

Jen841
05-07-2008, 06:29 AM
I worked past my due date both times. For #1 I tried to walk to the train 3 times the day I gave birth, and had to keep going home b/c I "wet" myself. I was in denial that my water broke : ) For #2 I worked 1 day past my due date, then took a day off before I was induced. I only took the day off b/c I had delegated my work.

Melbel
05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
With both DS and DD, I worked until the last business day before my scheduled CS. Even though I worked long hours in a stressful career, I found that work provided a distraction from the every day aches and pains. With DD, I had early, but thankfully unproductive contractions. I still recall having to breathe through contractions in my supervising attorney's office (and his fearful expression). If I was going to be miserable, it was at least nice to be paid. I had about 13 weeks paid leave with both DC, but worked some from home during my leave.

With only 6 weeks leave, I would work as long as you physically can to reserve the time off for the baby. As far as working from home PT, it depends on the flexibility of your work, how many hours you plan to realistically work and your baby's disposition. Going from FT to PT is sometimes easier said than done because you have established a precedent of a certain level of productivity. My DC were both on a pretty reliable nap schedule, which gave me windows of time to work. I have seen other babies that simply will not nap, or nap very little, which would present a bigger challenge. I am not a napper myself, so forget the rest when the babies rest adage. It was much easier to work with a newborn vs. a toddler. My DC did not sleep through the night until well over a year, which meant that I was pretty sleep deprived and exhausted. You will also have additional responsibilities around the house (it is shocking how much laundry a little bundle will produce), so you may want to line up some help. Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you!

KrisM
05-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I worked until 3 days after my due date, when I went into labor. I imagine I would not have stopped prior to the baby coming, as I wanted to maximize my time with the baby rather than just home myself. Plus, DH and I worked together, so that made it easier.

Bea_Arthur
05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow! You guys have provided a lot of food for thought. I think that I will probably go right up until the Friday before my due date (on a Monday), but now after reading these posts, I think the real conundrum is the length of the leave and the coming back part time. Is 6 weeks leave really little time? I'm fairly certain I could ask for more time if needed, but its unpaid, and I work for a small-ish company ~20 employees, so I don't want to take advantage and leave them in a lurch.

As for coming back part-time, working at home with a baby... I'm beginning to think I am a little overly optimistic... but I work via email more than phone, and (don't tell anyone) I could usually get most of my regular full-time work done in half the time.. or is that me being overly optimistic again?! Well, I suppose it is fairly accurate most of the time... So, is it best just to play it by ear?

I'm not sure that I want to do child-care. That seems to partly negate why I'm working in the first place. The potential loss of my income wouldn't break the bank, but it would significantly slow what we're working toward... we are in the midst renovating an old house (four years into it) with the hope to sell within the next year. (I can't wait to be in a finished house!)

Anyhoo... I do appreciate all of your input. Lots of good practical experience!

mamabelle
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
As far as working from home I think it depends a lot on how many hours you really need to work each day and the flexibility you have in responding to people.

wellyes
05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I think the real conundrum is the length of the leave and the coming back part time. Is 6 weeks leave really little time? I'm fairly certain I could ask for more time if needed, but its unpaid, and I work for a small-ish company ~20 employees, so I don't want to take advantage and leave them in a lurch.

Lots of people go back in 6 weeks due to financial necessity, but if you have the financial option to stay out longer I definitely would. I'm nearing 6 weeks in my leave and I have absolutely no desire to give any thought to anything but my new DD. Several women I work with have told me that the 3 months FMLA (6 weeks paid, 6 weeks unpaid) is one of the best times of their lives.

apetto
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm going out this Friday and am due on May 15th- technically I'm only going out 3 days early b/c Moday is the 12th. I was told to do what feels right at my job- I'm lucky my employers are so cool- but it was mentioned that most teachers in my school leave 1 week prior to their due date. Many go right up to their due date to save days.

MontrealMum
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I did not go on maternity leave per se because I am a grad student who also does contract work, and, obviously, did not qualify. I gave birth 3.5 weeks before my fall semester began, and looking back it might have been a good idea to take the fall term off. I was in a fog the entire time. However, it did get me out of the house 2 days a week and around adults, which was good for the sanity. But it was extremely difficult to get work done while recovering, and adjusting to the new baby. If you have limited leave I would tend to err on the side of taking more of your weeks after the baby comes, not before. I do know two women who went back to work full-time 3 weeks after, but you never know what type of delivery/recovery you're going to have. And both of them have told me how they wished they had had other options at the time.

As for coming back part-time, working at home with a baby... I'm beginning to think I am a little overly optimistic... but I work via email more than phone, and (don't tell anyone) I could usually get most of my regular full-time work done in half the time.. or is that me being overly optimistic again?! Well, I suppose it is fairly accurate most of the time... So, is it best just to play it by ear?

I will say that I was completely overly optimistic :(
Everyone is different, but even after I got my "parenting" feet, and DS began sleeping through the night, I still had/have trouble getting work done with him around. I've been working at home for years and on my own schedule, but it's a completely different ballgame with a little one about. I was just so used to setting my own schedule, and now I am on DS' ha ha :) Yet, I've learned quickly how to cut corners, and which ones to cut, but it's quite a learning curve. So, yes, playing it by ear is the best advice I can give :) I will say that I probably get things done more efficiently now that I have less time - but I am not so sure if they are as well done KWIM.